Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What are you currently reading?

I'm reading two books now:

Masters of the Air by Donald L Miller about the U.S. Eighth Airforce during WWII 

The Liberation of Europe 1944-1945: The Photographers who Captured History from D-Day to Berlin by Mark Barnes

Both excellent books!

610LLfznUIL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51Uf7RhmCTL._SX354_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm currently reading The Battle of France then and now, from After the Battle. As with all their books, their attention to detail is amazing and the then and now pictures make you feel you are in a battlefield tour.

41x2272hAML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've sunken my teeth in the epic "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". It is massive, heavy and long but such a good read.

81J42OSRC7L.jpg

Presently I am reading, in conjunction with the World War 2 class that I am teaching the following books.

The Ciano Diaries, by Count Ciano, Mussolini's Foreign Minister and also son-in-law.

The Italian Navy in World War 2 by Cmdr. Marc Bragadin

100 Best True Stories of World War 2, by various.  It includes an account of Rodger Young's final action.

Corregidor:  The Saga of a Fortress, by Belote and Belote

and for a change of pace, Merchant Ship Types by A. C. Hardy.

• Like 1

I seem to be stuck in Masters of the Air.

I have finished "The Sands of Dunkirk" a great little book about the evacuation, it's a bit like the Dunkirk movie and some of the scenes from the movie were taken verbatim from the book. 

Now reading "Red Storm Rising" a Tom Clancy classic about a Soviet attack on NATO and their attempt to close the Atlantic with submarines.

At the same time, I'm listening to "The Presidents Gatekeepers" while working out. This book is about the Chiefs of Staff, a very interesting look behind the scenes of the White House. 

Now reading Kampfraum Arnheim a photo study of the images taken by German war correspondents in and around Arnhem.

index.jpg.0e497233d54d8a9e5510670b1db94d8e.jpg

Reading The Devil's Bodyguard about 1st Airborne Task Force and MG Robert Fredrick

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, Dale said:

Reading The Devil's Bodyguard about 1st Airborne Task Force and MG Robert Fredrick

They were the ones that landed in the south of France?

I am reading the book 'Gas - Ypres 1915, the first gas attack' and a book about the death of Tyne Cot Cemetery.

11229833_10205934361253859_2923492640592

21077716_10213030006000543_1300519013989

• Like 1

Now reading "What If":

With its in-depth reflections on the monumental events of the past, this amazing book of essays ponders what might have been if things had gone differently in history. Featuring Stephen J. Ambrose, John Keegan, and many others.

516rvQ6bqrL.jpg.471c791c1395aa483b80e2765580ffcd.jpg

On 9/28/2017 at 11:43 AM, Dale said:

Operation Dragoon, Southern France

I'm currently reading Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden,great book and stories told by both the American side,North Vietnamese side,and the South Vietnamese side.Highly recommended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joris said:

That must be a difficult book to get through.

That is correct now and than you have to put it away because you can't imagion that somebody can survive that kind of horrot for five years but I can recomend it to everybody . It is well written and a story that show the darkest side of human kind that have to be tol. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Johan said:

That is correct now and than you have to put it away because you can't imagion that somebody can survive that kind of horrot for five years but I can recomend it to everybody . It is well written and a story that show the darkest side of human kind that have to be tol. 

I read a book about the history of Dachau a couple of years ago, it was very difficult to get through that one. It is unimaginable what people can do to each other.