Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What are you currently reading?

9 hours ago, Dale said:

A Time for Trumpets by Macdonald

What do you think of it, is it any good?

18 hours ago, Dale said:

A Time for Trumpets by Macdonald

Excellent book on the Battle of the Bulge

On 12/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, Dale said:

Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Charles MacDonald

I think I read that one too! 

I'm about to start reading 'The Riddle of the Wooden Bombs' by Pierre-Antoine Courouble following an article on this site, which attempts to prove that the "dummy bombs on dummy airfields" is more than urban legend. I can't say any more at the moment other than it's both well-illustrated and well-sourced.

19 hours ago, Tim H said:

I'm about to start reading 'The Riddle of the Wooden Bombs' by Pierre-Antoine Courouble following an article on this site, which attempts to prove that the "dummy bombs on dummy airfields" is more than urban legend. I can't say any more at the moment other than it's both well-illustrated and well-sourced.

Can you keep us updated on this? Would like to know if that book is worth reading. 

M Courouble, the author, admits he's a journalist rather than a historian which makes for a more personal style. The "riddle" itself isn't solved: there are a number of hypotheses to consider. The majority of sources are word-of-mouth, from journals or from memoirs with the occasional eyewitness account - of course, an official record would ruin the mystery.

If my language skills were any better I'd read it in the original French as it feels a bit clunky in English. Ignoring that, it is worth reading and I found checking some of the sources interesting. The book is not easy to find, at least not secondhand. I bought my copy direct from the publisher, Les Presses du Midi.001.thumb.JPG.11a49b15c6c7bb64dd1fe94ed7ec03e7.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you, @Tim H you went through that pretty quickly! 

Wooden bombs dropped on wooden airplanes, never made much sense to me. 

Recently, I have been watching a program on National Geographic called "Nazi Superstructures".
Along with the series on History Channel called "Hunting Hitler".
Both good programs, but they have left me wanting more.
I am curious what people here might recommend in reading material that would cover the entire war, that gives the LATEST in understanding of Hitler's ambitions, goals, and accomplishments throughout the failed campaign.
It is no secret that the war continues to be studied today, via "boots on the ground", as well as the thousands of declassified documents worldwide. 
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, Paul Yttrie said:

Recently, I have been watching a program on National Geographic called "Nazi Superstructures".
Along with the series on History Channel called "Hunting Hitler".
Both good programs, but they have left me wanting more.
I am curious what people here might recommend in reading material that would cover the entire war, that gives the LATEST in understanding of Hitler's ambitions, goals, and accomplishments throughout the failed campaign.
It is no secret that the war continues to be studied today, via "boots on the ground", as well as the thousands of declassified documents worldwide. 
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks in advance.

These books I found very intresting but there are so many.

81J42OSRC7L.jpg

51Zny65kiML._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

220px-Bloodlands_Europe_between_Stalin_and_Hitler.jpg

I've finally finished reading The Mighty Eight abd now I'm catching up on some After the Battle magazines which have been gathering dust for a while. 

I can highly recommend the Rise and fall of the third Reich, best book I ever read about this subject. It is by no means recent but this was written by a man who witnessed some of the events first hand. To me that made it very special. 

Currently re-reading (does that count?) Street without Joy, Bernard Fall, highly recommenced 

BTW Company Commander is an excellent book

Edited by Chris Harrison

Hi Chrs,also read Street Without Joy, Hell In A Very Small Place by Bernard Fall is another read worthy of your time. You can almost feel the US falling into the same trap.Of course that's 20-20 hindsight , Embers Of War by Fredrik Loegevall is also a fabulous book. Traces the fall of the French Empiere and the making of America's Vietnam.

• Like 1

I am now reading Horse Soldiers (read it when it first came out after watching the movie 12 Strong