Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What are you currently reading?

I've just received a copy of "Nach Holland", a book in Dutch which contains photos taken by German soldiers during the invasion of 1940. Absolutely amazing and somewhat saddening to see the other side of the battle, including pictures of dead Dutch soldiers. 

You can see a couple of pages in the preview here: https://issuu.com/wbooks/docs/nachholland_bladerpdf

21 hours ago, Joris said:

I've just received a copy of "Nach Holland", a book in Dutch which contains photos taken by German soldiers during the invasion of 1940. Absolutely amazing and somewhat saddening to see the other side of the battle, including pictures of dead Dutch soldiers. 

You can see a couple of pages in the preview here: https://issuu.com/wbooks/docs/nachholland_bladerpdf

This book is of my collection it's from 1945 with a list in it with all the dutch military victims from the invasion of the germans .in the book are names that I see every day because in my village there are streets named after them .20180207_120748.thumb.jpg.084aa2747b756f881a00f27eaa2999f8.jpg o

20180207_120701.thumb.jpg.aa9351fe76a5ab05f8eb3375635a841f.jpg

• Like 1

I'm still reading through my backlog of After the Battle magazines, now at the latest issue which features a story about the Lodz ghetto. That will be grim reading I'm afraid.

Having not read any of the magazines for 2 years I bought all missing numbers and read them in one go, very good reading material which covers all kinds of subjects. Not all stories are as good as I was expecting though. 

15200734086981109117487.thumb.jpg.98c366c9b64bbaa8d8572dc5fddc43cd.jpg

I have a subscription on this magazine but I think I stop because for a long time there are no compelling articles in it.

In a round about way I know what you mean. As was stated in another post I am more interested in the Pacific War, I may be wrong but it seems to me a lot of these magazines seem to focus on the European theater, which is fine.Im sure their are articles on the Pacific theater, so what I'm saying is I will buy books that are focused on my internet.

Just finished Saigon by Anthony Grey. Historical book about The French occupation and demise, right thru to the American involvement. Great cast of characters,many ups and downs, and historical context very accurate. It's about 800 pages and that is fine with me. I don't mind long books if I'm interested in the subject. Getting ready to read Peking by the same author. Follows the life of a Young minister from England spreading the word of God and trying to convert the Chinese that he meets.It takes place during one of the many revolutions in China,right up to the death Mao.

8 hours ago, Buflo39 said:

In a round about way I know what you mean. As was stated in another post I am more interested in the Pacific War, I may be wrong but it seems to me a lot of these magazines seem to focus on the European theater, which is fine.Im sure their are articles on the Pacific theater, so what I'm saying is I will buy books that are focused on my internet.

I am interested in the European theater but when I buy a magazine I expect to read things that are not general knowledge but more suprising little less  known things . 

I also buy allot of books I am old fashioned I only buy paper books and no e-books so I think i have about a thousand most of them about the European theater. 

I understand you point, I also but hard cover and paper back, unfortunately due to lack of space for my many books,I also have a nook, so I suppose you could say I use the best of both worlds.

3 minutes ago, Buflo39 said:

I understand you point, I also but hard cover and paper back, unfortunately due to lack of space for my many books,I also have a nook, so I suppose you could say I use the best of both worlds.

Space is becoming a problem?

Ebooks could work well for me too but then I need an ebook reader, reading them on my phone is not very comfortable. But I prefer a real book over an ebook any day. 

I understand Joris,fortunately I have a nook and a fair sized iPad. I'm not sure I would like trying to read a book on an iPhone. That just doesn't sound appealing.

On 02/02/2018 at 11:15 PM, Chris Harrison said:

got embers of war, will let you know

On 02/02/2018 at 11:53 PM, Buflo39 said:

Ok Chris,you won't be disappointed.

Good god that has opened my eyes to what was going on, I'm honestly shocked , I'm about 3/4 through but am amazed at the goings on in the American political brains before they sent their boys out there to die in a war thy couldn't win thanks Bufflo

HI Chris, Thank you for getting back with me on Embers OF War. Some how missed your response,hence the reason it to so long to respond to your response.I am glad you like it and at the same time an eye opener.Actually the more you read about the French experience in Vietnam, you can literally cross out France and insert United States. My feeling is the US looked at the French experience and thought ( oh but that was the French,we are the Americans). Just my opinion. We can be be arrogant at times.Good luck the rest of the way,it's a book worth reading many times over.

• Like 1

Finished "Nach Holland" and now onto Autumn Gale about Kampfgruppe Chill in the autumn of 1944 (including Operation Market Garden.

I have read bits and pieces of it already but will now start at page one.

http://www.autumngale.com/

omslag_autumngale.png.55c70f4613240ad9c63d83a653872833.png

On 09/03/2018 at 12:23 AM, Buflo39 said:

.Actually the more you read about the French experience in Vietnam, you can literally cross out France and insert United States. 

absolutely!  cross out Dien Bien Phu, insert Khe Sahn , I'll be looking for Hell in a very small place soon as I finish (on the last chapters now) but I'm open for recommendations 

Nice to hear from you Chris, yes Khe Shan and Dien Bien Phu are comparable , however their are hundreds of other smaller Battles  and ambushes that are also comparable. Listen I will send you a list of recommendations I think you may be interested in. I have so many covering the political and the actual war itself. There are many historical fiction books that are excellent also. Give me a few days and I will suggest a small list for you.I have read these books and have many more. I myself am a Vietnam Veteran and have been studying this war for 40 years,basically trying to figure out the why and the how.Its a very complicated situation. I will talk to you soon.

On 10/03/2018 at 5:22 PM, Buflo39 said:

. I myself am a Vietnam Veteran and have been studying this war for 40 years,basically trying to figure out the why and the how.Its a very complicated situation. I will talk to you soon.

I've visited TX a lot with vets, I have to stand back because I wasn't there and often have to hold my tongue, it's really good to listen to someone who was been there and looks into why

HI Chris, I understand your point. If you talk to 5 Veterans of Vietnam you will probably get five different opinions.On the other hand the more you read and study the war you will at the very least be able to ask intelligent questions and be able to say hey wait a minute, what about this or what about that? Then I think you would be more comfortable expressing your opinion. So I told you I would recommend some books for you if you are interested. so here is a small list I've read.  On the non- fiction side, A Bright Shining Lie, Neil Sheehan, The Best And The Brightest by David Halberstram. The Long Gray Line by Rick Atkinson about the West Point Class of 1966 and at that time the highest death rate in Vietnam as far as the war is concerned. The next books are by reporters that actually covering the war and not sitting in Saigon sending out reports. Dispatches by Michael Herr ( recently died) The Cat From Hue by John Laurence, well known reporter.  On the fiction side I would recommend Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, Fields Of Fire by James Webb,both veterans of the war. So I hope I haven't blown you away with this list, all I can say is these are great authors and I have read these books at least 3 times, that are the kind of books I wished would never end. So thank you for replying and any questions you may have I would be happy to answer.Talk to you again Chris.

On 12/03/2018 at 7:15 PM, Buflo39 said:

HI Chris, I understand your point. If you talk to 5 Veterans of Vietnam you will probably get five different opinions

I know mate I'm still reading and trying to understand  I can see different generations going through vietnam as well, I must admit I was looking for references to my friend who was an mp and probably got into lrrp , i saw his 'get out of jail ' cards :) but the whole political thing still intrigues me

HI Chris, as far as the political aspect, when you have a chance try The Best And The Brightest by David Halberstam. Also if you are interested you can go to The National Archives and download The Pentagon Papers. Like any govt document it is very long, but it's very interesting reading a little at a time.

• Like 1