Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What are you currently reading?

I just finished reading Speer's "Inside the Third Reich" and a friend gave me a copy of "A Higher Call" which I just started but thus far find fascinating.  As far as Speer's book, I suppose I'm like a lot of people in that part of me wants to believe him but the cynical part of me says he acted cleverly and out of self preservation. 

1 hour ago, Jon M Brown said:

As far as Speer's book, I suppose I'm like a lot of people in that part of me wants to believe him but the cynical part of me says he acted cleverly and out of self preservation. 

I saw a special on Speer on History Channel. Granted that it needs to be taken with a good deal of caution, their claim was that Speer had flat out lied to the Tribunal and to his last days dealt in stolen by him during the war art through his henchmen - even from his jail cell. 

I'm reading The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. 

2nd time I've read it, 1st time 20 years ago. Reason I'm reading it again is I've recently returned from a tour round Eastern Europe. 

• Like 1

I've also just read A Spectator in Hell by Colin Rushton. About a British Soldier in Auschwitz concentration camp. All about his survival and the horror he witnessed.

On 21/03/2018 at 1:49 AM, Buflo39 said:

The Best And The Brightest by David Halberstam. 

got that one on the list mate, not sure I could handle the pentagon papers but I'll have a shuftee  I have been reading  a lot of personal recounts of the war the laos, most of them the SF forces guys, but the one that strikes meis ' Meeting Steve Canyon' 

HI Chris, yes the Pentagon Papers is a long, long read. Good reference point. Take Halberstams book slow, my feeling is if one doesn't understand the political aspect of the war, it's hard to understand the actual war. Halberstam unfortunately died in an auto accident a few years back. Let me know what you think at some point.

Image result for fighters over israel

Currently reading this, it was gifted to me by a friend because somehow he though I was an Arab but I am Pakistani *lol* also he knows how much I love warplanes and dogfights. Really interesting book so far, Reading this tells me Israel have been dominating the skies since they were founded and we gotta give em credit. 

Began "Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers" by Daniel Ellsberg a few days ago and finding it a slow starter. I hope it picks up or it'll held back for long journeys.

The Building of the Atlantic Wall , and the Destruction of the Atlantic Wall , because I love a happy ending .