Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

I was watching the Ken Burns special on Vietnam. It gave a great history of Vietnam and our involvement during WW II. An O.S.S. officer was going to meet with Ho but was shot dead by a Vietnamese sentry.

What's weird, my dad flew with the 1st Combat Cargo out of China. He related a story of flying to Sigeon  to pick up an agent. They flew around the tower waiting for a flare designating the pick up. It never came, nothing on the radio. So, my dad had warned the pilot about loitering to long. They had to bail out over occupied China. I hadn't thought much about it until last night. They had killed the guy so, my, my, not pick up. My dad never learned about the fate of the O.S.S. agent. My dad passed away in 1999.

The commander of the OSS " Deer Team " was Major Archimedes Patti who was in close contact with Ho Chi Minh to restore the talking about the Vietnamese independity . Another OSS team codenamed " Embarkment " was also in charge on the training program for the Vietnamese troops and under command of Lt. Col. Peter Dewey . Dewey , underway in an unmarked jeep was trapped in an ambush and killed by friendly fire . Lt. Col. Dewey was the first US military that died in Vietnam .

Source : 10.000 days Vietnam by Michael Maclear . ISBN 978 902 182 9470

Here's one for you, my dad was with the 1st Combat Cargo and had to fly from India to Vietnam to pick up an O.S.S. officer. They circled the air strip in Saigon but never got the signal from the agent. Could they be one and the same?

I don't think so Timothy . The accident occured in the vicinity of Tran Tao near the Chinese border in Northern Vietnam . The body of Lt.Col. Dewey was recovered by Chinese troops and send to Kunming ( China ) ! On a demonstration in Hanoi weeks later Ho Chi Minh promised that no further American lives should being spend for the liberation of the republic of Vietnam . But 20 years later.....?