Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Joris

What was the best submachine gun of WWII?

What was the best submachine gun of WWII?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best submachine gun of WWII?

• MP40
    • Thompson Submachine Gun
    • Sten gun
    • PPSh-41

Your votes, please!

Which submachine gun will be the winner?

the MP40 is a long lasting weapon, used until 2011 in the Libyan Civil war, and in Syria as well.  it did have a feed problem that was corrected with better training and with proper training could be fired single shot, which was great considering it was a fully automatic weapon.  accuracy was about the same as the Thompson and the ammo count was the same in the stick magazine.  It was a toss up, but I went with the MP40 due to longevity.

• Like 1

The Thompson was very expensive to produce, hence the M1 and the M1A1 versions that were introduced during the war, but even those were replaced by the M3 Grease gun.

The  PPSh 41 was a confidence weapon in every enviroment but I think it´s underpowered. The 7,62 x 25 isn´t a good military round. The 9 Para is a better cartridge for this kind of weapons. My vote is MP40

Here is one thing to think about with the MP40 it was the gun every resistance group wanted to get their hands on in WW2 in occupied Europe from the Warsaw Ghetto to France.  It had ROF accurate easy to make cheap and could be copied pretty easy.

All good weapons that are effective.I would vote for the Grease Gun but it was not included.The PPSh-41 got my vote as a balance between firepower and weight.

Posted (edited)

I think that in this poll 2 important SMG are missing. 

The italian Beretta MAB38 and the finnish Suomi KP31. 

The first one was defined by many authors the best SMG of the war, was produced in italy and used only starting from 1941 in limited quantities. When the production became enough big to equip an acceptable number of solider, was alredy 1943, so most of those were used by the RSI. Even the German Army really pareciate the weapon, using a large number of those and considering it a little bit heavy but sightly more accurate and reliable, due the high quality manufacturing and producing progress.

The Suomi KP31, was the main SMG of the finnish army, and was produced since the early 30's, really well designed, the soviets noticecd immediatly the advantages of this amazing SMG that was used to inspire the great PPSH. In general, the Suomi KP-31 was a highly effective,reliable and accurate gun, but too expensive to manufacture.

breda30 mab38.jpg

dlr8Yko.jpg

Edited by 𝕱𝖆𝖚𝖘𝖙𝕻𝖆𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖊42

I always liked the U.S. M3-A1.  I guess the Carl Gustav M/45 was developed too late for consideration.

• Like 1