Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Newbie introduction :)

Names Neil and I am in Outer East London.  Been interested in military history for decades and also into MV ownership and living history (Cold War Soviet).

Any questions - feel free to ask :)

• Like 1

What a great collection! What made you go for the UAZ? That's not the most common of vehicles.

1 hour ago, Pieter said:

What a great collection! What made you go for the UAZ? That's not the most common of vehicles.

Other hobby - related to this - is Cold War Living History.  Both BAOR where I served in the Reserves and Soviet (GSFG/Afghanistan/1st Chechen war).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

Very nice - and the snow adds to the image subject :)

Also adds a lot of rust and decay :(

3 hours ago, Able502 said:

Also adds a lot of rust and decay :(

Sadly most museums suffer from this - undercover storage costs an arm and a leg so some have to be stored outside.  Much depends on the funds available to the museum in question and the will of those in power to use them.  These exhibits look to be in better condition that the ones in the old US Armoured Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - every time they appeared on the TV they were covered in rust streaks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

These exhibits look to be in better condition that the ones in the old US Armoured Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - every time they appeared on the TV they were covered in rust streaks.

Yeah they were in terrible shape at some point but now they have been restored. If I recall correctly, the Elefant currently on loan in the UK Tank museum used to be rotting away at Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Able502 said:

Yeah they were in terrible shape at some point but now they have been restored. If I recall correctly, the Elefant currently on loan in the UK Tank museum used to be rotting away at Aberdeen. 

Yes, the Elefant is on loan to Bovvy and has been restored.  I was told the exhibits at Aberdeen had been relocated to a new museum - I do not know where - and were now undercover??

16 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

Yes, the Elefant is on loan to Bovvy and has been restored.  I was told the exhibits at Aberdeen had been relocated to a new museum - I do not know where - and were now undercover??

Not sure about that either, will look into it!