Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Not Bob

Amazing that WW2 planes were used in the Korean war

This is absolutely amazing, I didn't even know myself that World War 2 Planes were used in the Korean war, honestly a big surprise for me, I done some researching and managed to find a Soviet Yak 9! 

Apparently this exact one in the picture is captured by the USAF from Korea, Read More

korrewan.png

The Air Force operated F-51 Mustangs and B-26 Invaders during the Korean War, along with F-82 Twin Mustangs Night Fighters, one of which scored the first US aerial kill of the War.  The F-82 was a post-WW2 aircraft, but was basically two Mustang fuselages joined together by a common wing, with the radar mounted below that wing.  The Navy operated large numbers of F4U Corsairs as fighter-bombers along with F7F Tigercat Night Fighters and F4U Corsair Night Fighters.  TBF Avengers were operated on anti--submarine patrol in the Japan Sea.  There was some use of Hellcat drones as attack drones for hitting North Korean railway tunnels.  The B-29 was heavily used for bombing, while the B-17 was flown a bit for aerial mapping.  Due to the heavy losses of Mustangs in the ground attack role, considerable thought was given to resurrecting the F-47 Thunderbolt for use instead of the Mustang.  It was determined that there were insufficient Thunderbolts available for that use, along with complicating an already complicated spare parts supply operation.  The loss rate of the Mustang on ground attack missions on a per sortie basis was 6 times that of the F-80 Shooting Star.  I am not sure why the US Air Force did not replace the Mustang with the Corsair, as that was still in production.  Large number of World War 2 vintage C-47 transports were used by both the Army and Navy, as well as the C-54 transports.

If it is possible to post PDF files, I can post a lot of official performance data for the US Navy aircraft.  I also have the 3 volume history, formerly classified, of US Air Force operations in the Korean War, which the above comments are based on.  There is a lot of very interesting data in those volumes.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Timerover51 said:

If it is possible to post PDF files, I can post a lot of official performance data for the US Navy aircraft.  I also have the 3 volume history, formerly classified, of US Air Force operations in the Korean War, which the above comments are based on.  There is a lot of very interesting data in those volumes.

Yes please would love to see them :-)

Attached are the official U. S. Navy performance charts for the straight-wing F9F Panther and the F4U-4 Corsair, as flown during the Korean War.  Happy reading.

f9f.pdf

f4u-4.pdf

Edited by Timerover51
Added Corsair

Shaheen; If you take time to understand why things happen the way they did, you would understand why WW 2 equipment showed up in the Korean conflict.  At the end of  WW 2, the US wanted to forget all war and do what the US does best, enjoy peace.  They gave very little thought to defense.  So when the North Koreans attacked the South, the only equipment and weapons the UN had was US's surplus WW2 stuff.  Not that this was bad equipment.  It was just that there was plenty of.  

I remember the two times I landed at Kimpo Airport in Korea, in 1971 and 1980.  Both times there was an American half-track with a four barrel .50 cal machine gun in the middle of the runways.