Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Joris

What was the best Allied tank of WWII?

What was the best Allied tank of WWII?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best Allied tank of WWII?

• Sherman M4A3E8 Easy Eight
    • Sherman Firefly
    • M26 Pershing
    • T-34-85
    • IS-2 Stalin
    • Tank, Cruiser, Challenger (A30)
    • Other (please specify)

Your votes, please!

We have included 7 Allied tanks in this poll. With all of the tanks, we went for the latest production version used in the war as it makes rather a lot of difference if you are talking about an M4 Sherman or a Sherman Sherman M4A3E8 Easy Eight.

• Thanks 1

The T-34's sloped armor was a major innovation for its time and had a wide-ranging effect on future tank design, the wide tracks negotiated the terrain it encountered better than most other tanks and the upgraded 85 mm gun kept it relevant throughout the war. It could be built fast and relatively cheap and was produced in great numbers. This tank was the backbone of Russian armored forces from 1941 forward and even today remains in limited front line service in some 3rd world countries. In terms of production, design, innovation and overall impact - the T-34/T34-85 was beyond any doubt the best allied tank of WW II.

Edited by Mark Schaffer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

my vote is for the easy 8.

the easy 8 stayed in American service until 1957, and in the IDF service until the 80's, another long lasting tank!  it was equally gunned to the Russian tanks used in the Korean war, and destroyed 41 enemy tanks from July to November in 1950.  the 8 had better optics, better ammo, HVAP 76mm, and better trained crews.  the 8 also was easier to maintain than other tanks.  the only reason I bring up Korea is that it gives a comparison to the Russian T-34s. 

with the HVSS suspension the 8 provided a smoother ride, and had wider tracks, making the crews less fatigued, and happier.  the British armored units like the newer suspension as well. 

lighter, faster and better armed, an all around easily maintained tank, and that's why I feel it was the best all around tank of WW2.

Reb

• Like 1

Sherman Firefly of me, that arrived early enough in the war to be used in large numbers and had the ability to knock out virtually all German tanks.

This just proves the versitality of the Sherman tank that is all to easily regarded as the worst tank of WWII. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Msabot1 said:

Panther....considered by many armor experts the best tank in the world till the mid 50's...

Well, it's not exactly an Allied tank.. 

• Thanks 1

Yea..misread the title!..sorry about that..having said that,my choice would have been T34 series for allied armor..

The T-26 Pershing easily had the best balance of armor, mobility and firepower of any allied tank with the possible exception of the IS-3 which saw action in the final days of the Battle for Berlin. Its 90mm main gun could defeat all German tanks and its frontal armor was good against all but the 128mm gun on the Jagdtiger or the 88mm L70 armament on the Königstiger at under 600 meters. Mobility, reliability and maintainability were also good. No Sherman or T-34/85 was its equal. 

• Like 1

"Best" tank is somewhat ambiguous. Was the IS 2 more heavily armed and armoured?Probably, and probably ditto for the Pershing. But if we talk in terms of mobility, damage inflicted and durability, then it's most likely the T-34-85. 

On 10/17/2017 at 9:35 AM, Royal Canadian Legion, Col said:

Just thought you would like to know Branch 63, Royal Canadian Legion, Collingwood, Ontario has a Firefly on display on its parking lot.

As does the legion in Haliburton Ontario.

6 hours ago, Bryan Moloney said:

"Best" tank is somewhat ambiguous. Was the IS 2 more heavily armed and armoured?Probably, and probably ditto for the Pershing. But if we talk in terms of mobility, damage inflicted and durability, then it's most likely the T-34-85. 

The Pershing, of course, but it is really not a WW2 tank. It did not show up until the war was almost over in Europe. Not sure if it was sent to the Pacific. Not really necessary there as the Jap tanks were tin cans. The Sherman easily dealt with them.

3 hours ago, SCOTT said:

As does the legion in Haliburton Ontario.

I’m a Melbourne boy, that’s Australia, so much S I’d like to see a Firefly, it’s a tad too far to travel. Saw a few Sherman relics near Point Du Hoc in Normandy though.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:18 PM, Peter Kreft said:

Centurion

" Development of the tank began in 1943 and manufacture of the Centurion began in January 1945. Six prototypes arrived in Belgium less than a month after the war in Europe ended in May 1945.[10] It first entered combat with the British Army in the Korean War in 1950, in support of the UN forces. "

4 hours ago, Juan Prien said:

centurion is a fine tank..but did not fougth in ww2..first combat action was in 1950..so??

SO... It's  NOT "The best tank of WW2" then, is it???

1 hour ago, Ron Walker said:

SO... It's  NOT "The best tank of WW2" then, is it???

Hello..yes, sorry, i´m ARGENTINE, in my country is normal to say " so"..like, for example, in this case, say "then dont enter in category.."

BR

Just now, Juan Prien said:

Hello..yes, sorry, i´m ARGENTINE, in my country is normal to say " so"..like, for example, in this case, say "then dont enter in category.."

BR

a "mood", dude..sorry if i make an offense..of course was not my intention..