Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Not Bob

My favorite plane of Gulf War 1

I don't think they know themselves, it's a seesaw where it is under threat of being decomissioned and then it is saved again. 

It is very uncertain what fate of the Warthog will be...

I read on a news site this week that they are still planning to retire her without having any plans to come up with a replacement. Talk about a bad idea!

Today I read that the Pentagon is thinking of not replacing the A-10 at all, they must be bonkers!

The most recent word is that the A-10 will be retained, mainly due to Congressional Pressure on the Air Force, as they have no replacement for it at all.

Personally, my favorite plane is the Harrier used by the US Marines and the British during the war.  I am biased as I was working for the Marine Corps during the war.

• Thanks 2

For me the Tomcat, stunning plane that performed very well over Iraq.

1200px-F-14B_VF-103_in_flight_during_Gulf_War_1991.thumb.jpg.7796cbb23c54ef60075a85a053c7f7fb.jpg

A U.S. Navy Grumman F-14B Tomcat from fighter squadron VF-103 Sluggers prepares for refueling from a U.S. Air Force tanker on 4 February 1991 during the 1991 Gulf War. The aircraft is armed with AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles. VF-103 was assigned to Carrier Air Wing 17 (CVW-17) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga (CV-60) for a deployment to the Mediterranean and the Red Sea in support of operations "Desert Shield" and "Desert Storm" from 7 August 1990 to 28 March 1991.

For me it was the British Tornado also used by Italy. Very effective low level pin point strikes on Iraqi airfields and aircraft shelters.IMG_4029.thumb.JPG.364194de1923431371bf39032477fce2.JPG

• Like 2

The Tornados did take a beating by Iraqi air defenses, but they got the job done! 

According to page 354 of "Every man a tiger" (quote):

The Tornado, which flew more low-level tactics than any other aircraft, had a loss rate nine times the F16s and over six times the fairly slow A-10s.

Just prior to GW1 the NYANG 174th TFW received F16s to replace their A10s, the pilots were thrilled to be getting what was at the time the top of the line aircraft, but they also hated the idea of going to war for ground support missions in anything except the warthogs. The 30mm gun was “replaced” by adding a similar gun to the F16 as an add-on gun pod. They were used effectively by 2 ANG units, the aforementioned 174th, and a unit from South Carolina. The warthogs still had two advantages in a ground support role, loiter time over target and great armor. Regardless of their age, an avionics upgrade would keep this flying tank a valuable asset for many more years, even in a specific role as infantry support and tank/armor buster. Just the unique sound of the warthog brightens the day for the troops when they are in a rough situation and need a little help.

• Like 1