Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What articles are you missing on War History Online?

Let us know what article you want us to write about, which topic have we missed or which incredible story deserves to be told on our site!

Have you ever done a story about the fighting at the bridge at Arnhem? That is a story of sacrifice, heroism and determination and even includes a Victoria Cross!

• Like 1

There are many, but one I'd love to share is the Battle of Chawinda which has been the largest tank battle since World War 2!

• Like 1

I love stories about last stands against hopeless odds.   Nothing seems to inspire like men who are offered the choice between life and death, and by honoring their pledge to duty gain immortality, whether they be the Legionaires at Cameroon, the Shiks in Afganistan in the service of the Queen, or Texas facing down the Mexicans.   Love to hear other stories.   I remember one story in the early days of Vietnam that I read in readers digest about hopelessly outnumbered troops who would not give up.   Wish I could find that story again.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 3:51 AM, Fergus said:

I love stories about last stands against hopeless odds.   Nothing seems to inspire like men who are offered the choice between life and death, and by honoring their pledge to duty gain immortality, whether they be the Legionaires at Cameroon, the Shiks in Afganistan in the service of the Queen, or Texas facing down the Mexicans.   Love to hear other stories.   I remember one story in the early days of Vietnam that I read in readers digest about hopelessly outnumbered troops who would not give up.   Wish I could find that story again.

How about the second battalion of the parachute regiment at goose green we were amazed after the battle that 450 of us took well over 1000 Argentinean prisoners we were out numbered and out gunned I was a combat medic with them saw true heroes

• Like 1

That will certainly be a great topic for a story, I will pass that along.

I'm humbled to meet a veteran of Goose Green, especially a combat medic!

Good question!

Anybody can write a guest post for us and if it is good enough, we will publish it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alandainty said:

I haven`t seen anything on Nazi concentration camps !

We have a lot of stories on the concentration camps on our site. 

nice article about the Great Siege of Malta in 1565 would be nice. Also to set some things straight  that i mentioned in a post about false statements.  Try the book of Ernle "Ernie"Bradfort about this topic. Also, a second article about the Second Siege in 1940 might be appropriate as a follow-up.  Btw, Ernle Bradford has a lot of well informed books about the Mediterranian and naval subjects. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Audy Hack said:

nice article about the Great Siege of Malta in 1565 would be nice. Also to set some things straight  that i mentioned in a post about false statements.  Try the book of Ernle "Ernie"Bradfort about this topic. Also, a second article about the Second Siege in 1940 might be appropriate as a follow-up.  Btw, Ernle Bradford has a lot of well informed books about the Mediterranian and naval subjects. 

We actually did a 5 part series about the siege of Malta years ago:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/?s=siege+of+malta

I wrote a small article on the fate of the SS Beaverford, sunk by the KMS Scheer in 1940, article attached. The quality of my article is not that great,  perhaps your writers could read the artcile and come up with a better version. The story of the SS Beaverford is incredible and largely forgotten., overshadowed by the loss of HMS Jervis Bay. 

Cheers. 

It is our turn now.doc

To be honest I don't read the articles any more.

I found them to be lacking in historical accuracy with a lack of academia on the part of the author clearly visible.

The result of this was a large amount of people being misinformed ending up in a whole army of comments on Facebook of largely nonsense.

I also detected a current of anti-British feeling amongst the articles.

It seemed for a while that articles predominantly highlighted examples of things Britain has done badly and examples of things the US has done well mixed in with a bit of hero worshipping of Nazi Germany.

As much as I like Americans there is often a reluctance to praise anyone else.

This may have changed now but it certainly put me off.

I just stick to the forum now.

Edited by Edward, The Black Prince

9 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

To be honest I don't read the articles any more.

I found them to be lacking in historical accuracy with a lack of academia on the part of the author clearly visible.

The result of this was a large amount of people being misinformed ending up in a whole army of comments on Facebook of largely nonsense.

I also detected a current of anti-British feeling amongst the articles.

It seemed for a while that articles predominantly highlighted examples of things Britain has done badly and examples of things the US has done well mixed in with a bit of hero worshipping of Nazi Germany.

As much as I like Americans there is often a reluctance to praise anyone else.

This may have changed now but it certainly put me off.

I just stick to the forum now.

This is "constructive criticism" and please take it that way. I also seldom read the articles - they must be outsourced to people for whom English is a second language. The editing is also very erratic. An example is the article "These Ten Facts About WWI Have Been Largely Forgotten" and it has lots of mistakes. It says "there were over 250.000 Germans living in the USA" and of course in America we typically would say 250,000 Germans. The comma has been replaced by a period in several spots. Je parle Francais so I understand how Europeans use the period vs comma, even that does not explain the erratic editing - this is not grammatically correct English or American speech. Many of the "facts" in this article and similar ones could easily be disputed. 

Now, there are several people who post in the forums that are worth reading. 

• Like 1