Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Shaheen

What is your all time favourite aircraft?

With the aviation industry increasing in demand day by day, We can look at the past and present to see How mankind has created spectacular aircraft.

For me it will have to be the F16 Fighting Falcon,

"A single-engine supersonic multi-role fighter aircraft...Designed as an air superiority day fighter" manufactured by the United States Air force. 

"The Fighting Falcon's key features include a frame-less bubble canopy for better visibility, side-mounted control stick to ease control while maneuvering, a seat reclined 30 degrees to reduce the effect of g-forces on the pilot" Read More

The main purpose of Why I adore this aircraft is simply because of its design and maneuverability (you should see this thing fly in person!) with its introduction in 1978 It definitely had a distinctive look compared to its competitors. The F16 had reportedly beaten RAF Eurofighter Typhoons in an Anatolian Eagle air-combat exercise based in Turkey.

Key wars the F16 Participated in:

Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989)

Operation Opera (1981) 

Operation Desert Storm (1991)

Gulf War (1990-1991)

image.thumb.png.d8f92b4916f6479a293821b9735d563b.png

image.thumb.png.224076956a5221f65c7ba82a9acd9abc.png

image.thumb.png.1b2561c916a349ccbe64f475c5a117f3.png

image.png.7d5547778a06f58d0fbd2a0415c6c7af.png

Edited by Shaheen
  • Like 2

From the jet-age? The best looking plane for me is the F-4 Phantom, such a pretty plane. It has sleek lines and even now it still looks futuristic. And it proved pretty useful!

F-4B_VF-74_taking_off_1961.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_MadMan said:

From the jet-age? The best looking plane for me is the F-4 Phantom, such a pretty plane. It has sleek lines and even now it still looks futuristic. And it proved pretty useful!

F-4B_VF-74_taking_off_1961.jpg

Certainly sir! this is a stunning plane for its time and today! This plane was a big use especially in Vietnam and in the Arab - Israeli Wars. One of the first air battles involved in the Yom Kippur War involved was 2 Israeli F4 Phantoms engaged 28 Egyptian planes compromising of 20 Mig 17's and 8 Mig 21, Israel had shot down 7 enemy aircraft and the rest of the Egyptians Disengaged, just goes to show this Aircraft was at the top of the table in its time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaheen said:

Certainly sir! this is a stunning plane for its time and today! This plane was a big use especially in Vietnam and in the Arab - Israeli Wars. One of the first air battles involved in the Yom Kippur War involved was 2 Israeli F4 Phantoms engaged 28 Egyptian planes compromising of 20 Mig 17's and 8 Mig 21, Israel had shot down 7 enemy aircraft and the rest of the Egyptians Disengaged, just goes to show this Aircraft was at the top of the table in its time.

Thank you Shaheen, I've never heard that story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_MadMan said:

Thank you Shaheen, I've never heard that story. 

Your welcome, you can read more about it here.

36 minutes ago, Not Bob said:

I think you can pick up F$s pretty cheap now - in civvy spec of course!

Yes I believe one had been sold in the UK For around $19,000, Why not eh?

3 hours ago, Able502 said:

Can I have a P-47 Thunderbolt, please?

906972acd2fe2ea01b81befa890e0962.thumb.jpg.5491f06e4c78d350c2a4b66f226f3fc5.jpg

I was hoping someone would include this Wonderful aircraft, This thing was a a beast in the air! A P47 Vs A Mitsubishi Zero was like a T90 Vs a sherman tank, Big, strong and reliable, no wonder the P47 was titled 'Why American enemies cant sleep'

Edited by Shaheen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Peter Michael Schissel said:

My Dad was a B-17 pilot with the 384th BG , Grafton-Underwood,UK.

He started flying missions in Nov.1944 and completed 34 missions.

He lived to age 92 a retired Doctor.

My Dad will always be my hero!

Hear hear! 

mine is the A1-Skyraider.  used for everything from recon to hauling supplies and personnel( by the French in the Algerian war ).  its most famous as Sandy in Pilot recovery in the Vietnam war.

the Skyraider had external hard points for ordinance, 7 each wing, and one centerline, total of 15.  armed with 4 20mm cannon.  used primarily as ground troop support.  also used as a night fighter, early warning system, set u for nuclear payload as well, this baby did it all and then some!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider

Billy

My favorite aircraft is the North American 

B-25 Mitchel twin  engine bomber as my father built them at the Fairfax Plant in Kansas City Kansas.  I learned the sound of them when i was 5 years old

• Like 1

My favorite aircraft is the North American 

B-25 Mitchel twin  engine bomber as my father built them at the Fairfax Plant in Kansas City Kansas.  I learned the sound of them when i was 5 years old

The most beautiful airplane the b1b

260px-B1s.jpgmy all time nr 1 airplane

The wooden wonder

dehavilland_mosquito_pop.jpg

Edited by Johan
Ik snap het nog niet helemaal
  • Like 1

The Avro Vulcan - a raity, in that you don't find many supersonic strategic bombers with aerobatic capabilities! Dating back to a time when the UK led the world in Jet design.

vulcan_1.jpg

vulcan_2.jpg

• Like 2