Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Panzers  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Medium/Heavy Panzers

2. 2. Tank Destroyers

3. 3. Light Tanks/Misc

Oddly enough, in the absence of this poll, I commended the diminuitive Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer" as being outstanding, just a couple of days back. It was only the size of the Pz II, but carried essentially the same gun as the Panther, and with similarly sloped armour that allowed it to shrug off hits (from the front) by the T34. Being so small, the ammunition storage capacity was limited, but when deployed from Ambush, it being so SMALL made it hard to detect, and it was both fast and mechanically reliable. It remained in service with both the Swiss and Swedish armies long after the war, and the Israelis tried to buy surplus Hetzers from the Czechs, but pulled out when offered (upgradable) Shermans at half the price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzer

Hetzer2.jpg

32 minutes ago, Ron Walker said:

Oddly enough, in the absence of this poll, I commended the diminuitive Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer" as being outstanding, just a couple of days back. It was only the size of the Pz II, but carried essentially the same gun as the Panther, and with similarly sloped armour that allowed it to shrug off hits (from the front) by the T34. Being so small, the ammunition storage capacity was limited, but when deployed from Ambush, it being so SMALL made it hard to detect, and it was both fast and mechanically reliable. It remained in service with both the Swiss and Swedish armies long after the war, and the Israelis tried to buy surplus Hetzers from the Czechs, but pulled out when offered (upgradable) Shermans at half the price.

Hetzer2.jpg

That's exactly why I made this poll. I didn't realize how small it was, I thought it was longer and wider..

I voted Panther, Stug and the P38t

The Panther was an outstanding tank, the best of the war.

The STUG was such a simple and versatile SPG / TD that was easy to make and available in large numbers.

The P38t I chose because I had to pick one and I think this was better than the others. But I'm not an expert on German light tanks of WWII... 

On 12/15/2017 at 8:51 PM, Tilberi said:

Panther was a copy of T34, so ...

That is a bit of oversimplification. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 1:37 PM, Ron Walker said:

Hetzer2.jpg

The Hetzer was indeed an excellent tank destroyer but did NOT have essentially the same gun as the Panther (75mm/71 cal) but it was the same as the Pz IV "special" (75mm/48 cal).

On 12/18/2017 at 3:35 AM, Joris said:

That is a bit of oversimplification. 

I agree . While the tank was developed in reply to the T34,and based upon its sloping armour , the Panther was far more advanced than the crudely made tt34 . Unfortunately , this was also the Panther's downfall. It was much more  costly ,and took much longer to build than the T34 . If the Germans had anything like equal numbers  to the t34s ,the outcome would have been vastly different .

On 3/30/2019 at 1:14 AM, Xflyer said:

I agree . While the tank was developed in reply to the T34,and based upon its sloping armour , the Panther was far more advanced than the crudely made tt34 . Unfortunately , this was also the Panther's downfall. It was much more  costly ,and took much longer to build than the T34 . If the Germans had anything like equal numbers  to the t34s ,the outcome would have been vastly different .

But would it have been ? The Panther required a complete overhaul every 600 miles, which meant taking it out of the line and repatriation to Germany.Thus, it was rare that there were no more than 500 Panthers at any one time over the vast expanse of the Eastern Front. Reliability is of far more consequence than any other factor in armoured warfare . What's the point of having a superior tank if it's absent from the battlefield ? THe Germans could never have achieved anything like equal numbers.