Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Rihari Rakau

My family tree

Ok nothing super amazing.

Grandfather was chief mechanic in a British motor torpedo boat. His boat was sunk twice and once spent several days in the ocean til he was rescued. Due to inhaling polluted sea water he always had lung issues until he finally passed away in the early 70s after moving his family to New Zealand under doctors advice for better air quality.

my other grandfather was a pen pushing blotter jotter officer in Egypt. Never heard any tales from him, but I'm sure he made sure they were fully stocked with paper clips at all times 

my biggest regret is never joining the armed forces myself as I always had great interest in it - but never the navy strangely enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, Rihari, to me it is super amazing that your grandfathers fought in the war. 

I laughed out loud at the Blackadder reference! ;)

• Thanks 1

My Mother was British and met Dad while he was stationed in England during WW2. Dad was part of the Army-Air Corp and repaired radios on P-47s. Mom followed Dad back to the states where they were married and started a family.  I graduated HS in 68 and joined the AF that same year. I served in SE Asia during Nam and got out after my 4yr hitch. I joined the Army Guard in 84, and 2yrs later I landed a full time slot as a combat photographer. I ended up serving 24yrs with the Indiana Army Guard. As a photographer I was sent to most war zones, and training missions. I saw more of the world then most troops ever will, and I am thankful for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Triumphdave said:

My Mother was British and met Dad while he was stationed in England during WW2. Dad was part of the Army-Air Corp and repaired radios on P-47s. Mom followed Dad back to the states where they were married and started a family.  I graduated HS in 68 and joined the AF that same year. I served in SE Asia during Nam and got out after my 4yr hitch. I joined the Army Guard in 84, and 2yrs later I landed a full time slot as a combat photographer. I ended up serving 24yrs with the Indiana Army Guard. As a photographer I was sent to most war zones, and training missions. I saw more of the world then most troops ever will, and I am thankful for it.

That is a remarkable life story! Do you have any fun stories or anecdotes to tell from your years as a photographer?

My father CSM George DuRante joined the US Navy during WW1 in 1917. At the start of WW 2 he switched to the US Army in which he served til retired medically in 1970, for a career of 53 years. I've been told on good authority that he served longer than any other enlisted man. He and my mom are buried at Arlington,and his tombstone lists-WWI,WW2,Korea,and Vietnam.I served in the Navy,did a tour in Vietnam,then was discharged.