Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Shaheen

War Thunder

Have you ever wanted to fly your dream WW2 Aircraft? or aircraft from the Spanish civil to the cold war? Then this game is a must, been playing it for 6 months now and Not bored of it

"The game is based around combined arms battles on air, land, and sea with vehicles from the Spanish Civil War to the Cold War period with an emphasis on World War II. Players have access to more than 800 playable aircraft, tanks, and ships from the Soviet Union, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Japanese Empire, the United States, Italy, and China (only on the Chinese server). Other nations, such as France, Canada, Australia, and Romania, are also featured as part of the arsenal of the six main nations.
Most in-game maps are either directly or indirectly based on real battles of the era such as in Stalingrad, Russia, or Peleliu, an island in the Palau chain, though there are exceptions".

image.thumb.png.ca55a5780df4c582e885b0500937636b.png

image.thumb.png.53743bbf5118338d88f4181d0303b798.png

image.thumb.png.071843f733fae657d5adf02ec297d6a4.png

image.thumb.png.2bfbcd81ede3c3c30c10573d1ae3db0b.png

image.png.ef985f55071d3489c29906a76676fb4b.png

• Like 1

I played World of Tanks but everybody was so much better than I that I gave up pretty quickly. Never tried Warthunder yet.

I played World of Tanks too, when I first started I thought I was a beast at it turned out to be playing against AI at the first few levels *lol* but yes, uneven matchmaking.

War thunder has a good matchmaking system but I keep getting shot down, you need the right plane for the right maps. I currently fly the P39, P47 & P51 Mustang. The better the plane, the higher the rank and level it is.

I find the learning curve to be too steep and I don't want to play for hours getting shot down all the time.

War Thunder sure looks good though, maybe I'll give it a go some time.

War Thunder has a massive following and the graphics are simply amazing. I know a lot of people prefer War Thunder over WoT.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, Not Bob said:

War Thunder has a massive following and the graphics are simply amazing. I know a lot of people prefer War Thunder over WoT.

Yeah, and somehow I have more fun playing War Thunder, especially Simulation mode as a tank. No hints, no distance, all in your hands. Arcade one was great too though!

With World of Tanks, I resigned quite quickly, too many odd features.

You mean the game? War Thunder, without a doubt. Available on Xbox as well as Steam and standalone. The simulation mode is hard in War Thunder as a plane, out of 3 take-offs usually I crash once. Didn't play that mode too much though, not many players. The game offers quite a lot and is quite friendly for new gamers. 

If you mean which fighter I would pick...
I played fighters already. I enjoyed British, American and Italian (few back then in German tech tree) aircraft, yet my favorite were Yaks with those massive 37/40mm cannons. Bombers nightmare. The thing with every machine in the game is that it doesn't include malfunctions. The only thing is the cannon that sometimes get jammed, but that's universal for all aircraft out there. Some Soviet aircraft were called "Flying Coffin's" not without a reason. So in theory, Soviet aircraft were quite awesome. In the game, where theory merges with an unflawed reality, those Soviet planes are kinda unbalanced.

Spitfire for its roll rate. Hurricane for its firepower (and somehow I'm  more lucky with Hurricane than Spitfires)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Damian said:

You mean the game? War Thunder, without a doubt. Available on Xbox as well as Steam and standalone. The simulation mode is hard in War Thunder as a plane, out of 3 take-offs usually I crash once. Didn't play that mode too much though, not many players. The game offers quite a lot and is quite friendly for new gamers. 

If you mean which fighter I would pick...
I played fighters already. I enjoyed British, American and Italian (few back then in German tech tree) aircraft, yet my favorite were Yaks with those massive 37/40mm cannons. Bombers nightmare. The thing with every machine in the game is that it doesn't include malfunctions. The only thing is the cannon that sometimes get jammed, but that's universal for all aircraft out there. Some Soviet aircraft were called "Flying Coffin's" not without a reason. So in theory, Soviet aircraft were quite awesome. In the game, where theory merges with an unflawed reality, those Soviet planes are kinda unbalanced.

Spitfire for its roll rate. Hurricane for its firepower (and somehow I'm  more lucky with Hurricane than Spitfires)

Thank you!

I used to game quite a lot but don't really any more.

I've got spare time but I tend to spend that fishing, occasionally exercising, reading, dossing on Youtube and scale model making.

However I fancy having a go at this!

I find your points regarding the plane characteristics interesting.

I always worry games are historically inaccurate (which they usually are) which misinforms a lot of young people and puts me off playing them plus I find them often to be very pro US instead of a nice balance and/or a genuine reflection of reality.

Is the Stuka with the 37mm cannons under each wing on the game?

Hawker Typhoon on there?

Edited by Edward, The Black Prince

Sure, there are at least two variants of Stuka with those cannons in the game. The thing is that you will always encounter enemy fighters(and bombers). Stuka turn rate is over 40 second, while most fighters do it in 20-25. If you find a Spitfire (or rather it will find you) it may not only shot you down but also humiliate when it comes to performance (with ~15sec turn rate, nothing rolls like a good Spit). Stukas are great against ground targets though. There are mixed battles (fighters and tanks on the same map), but not so many, which means most of your targets are AI and most of your nemesis are humans. Sounds like no fun to me.

Hawker Typhoon also available, with typical for a hawker power. If something will get across your aim it will be flooded by your rain of ammo.

And yes, all games are not realistic. But if you prepare yourself that you will have to play a game that's arcade, for fun, then it's somehow eatable. The Heroes and Generals is even more arcade and simple, in ridiculous ways often (like anti-tank mines in the river, or bouncing 2,5tons half-track, or Pershing that stuck on some tiny train trails), yet it all depends on your attitude to decide if the game is playable or not. War Thunder as for me was quite stressless and i couldn't complain much about the mechanics, most things were explained reasonably and some realistic features cannot be presented in a game. If they would try to do that then nobody would play Soviet aircraft nor tanks :) 

4 hours ago, Damian said:

Sure, there are at least two variants of Stuka with those cannons in the game. The thing is that you will always encounter enemy fighters(and bombers). Stuka turn rate is over 40 second, while most fighters do it in 20-25. If you find a Spitfire (or rather it will find you) it may not only shot you down but also humiliate when it comes to performance (with ~15sec turn rate, nothing rolls like a good Spit). Stukas are great against ground targets though. There are mixed battles (fighters and tanks on the same map), but not so many, which means most of your targets are AI and most of your nemesis are humans. Sounds like no fun to me.

Hawker Typhoon also available, with typical for a hawker power. If something will get across your aim it will be flooded by your rain of ammo.

And yes, all games are not realistic. But if you prepare yourself that you will have to play a game that's arcade, for fun, then it's somehow eatable. The Heroes and Generals is even more arcade and simple, in ridiculous ways often (like anti-tank mines in the river, or bouncing 2,5tons half-track, or Pershing that stuck on some tiny train trails), yet it all depends on your attitude to decide if the game is playable or not. War Thunder as for me was quite stressless and i couldn't complain much about the mechanics, most things were explained reasonably and some realistic features cannot be presented in a game. If they would try to do that then nobody would play Soviet aircraft nor tanks :) 

Thanks Damian!

I'll certainly take a look.

Will have to be PC for me.

Not got a new game console.

360 is in the loft! And PS2.