Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Joris

Which battle was the turning point in World War II in Europe??

Tell us what you think!  

50 members have voted

1. 1. At which battle did the tide of war change against Nazi Germany?

• Battle of Britian
    • Battle of Stalingrad
    • Battle of Kursk
    • Normandy Invasion
    • Operation Torch
    • I do not vote in polls

Looking back at World War II in Europe, what was the moment the war was lost for Germany? 

If you want to tell us about your choice, so much the better!

1 hour ago, Joris said:

Looking back at World War II in Europe, what was the moment the war was lost for Germany? 

Hitler knows that he must defeat on this Island or lose the war.   Sir Winston  Summer 1941

13 hours ago, Joris said:

The Pearl Harbor attack. Yes, it was that attack in the Pacific that brought the US into the war. With the motivation of that attack - the enormous population and industrial capacity of the US (combined with the resources and skills of our Allies the Canadians, the British, the French, etc) the war was lost for the Axis side. It is not realistic to talk about the war and just one of the Axis powers - it was a war against Japan, Italy, and Germany. 

The various conflicts that were listed all depended on the vast output of the US, and our untouched industries. Combine our population with the vast numbers of people that the Soviet Union was able to sacrifice, and the Axis just could not defend themselves. 

Edited by CharlesHouston
  • Like 1

I agree with Charles Houston. Operation Barbarossa (Hitler's invasion of the Soviet Union) gave us hope; Japan's attack on Pearl Harbour gave us near-certainty that we, the Allies, would win the war, eventually. 

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Robert Allan Kidd said:

Hitler knows that he must defeat on this Island or lose the war.   Sir Winston  Summer 1941

... If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed, and the life of the world may move forward into bright sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world - including the United States - including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into an abyss, made more sinister and perhaps more protracted by the lights of perverted science (Churchill 18 June 1940). 

If we can disregard Pearl Harbor for now, which battle fought by Germany was the turning point?

9 hours ago, Joris said:

If we can disregard Pearl Harbor for now, which battle fought by Germany was the turning point?

Ok - Normandy. Now that was a skirmish in comparison to battles on the Eastern Front but it marks when the Axis was fighting on two fronts - both of which had a flat path to Berlin. We were fighting in the Balkans and in Italy but they were both a long way from the German heartland and the Allies had a lot more serious obstacles to overcome. With the Russians coming from the East and now the rest of the Allies coming from France, Germany could not field enough people to defend it's homeland. 

Surely Stalingrad.

Even some of the Germans thought that,once the Volga was reached then they were well on the way to achieving the A-A Line (Archangel to Astrakhan) which was their ultimate goal in the East.

The invasion of itali into greece from october1940 - til may 1941

That is the turning point I think because hitler had to help the italians what delayd operation barbarossa whit several weeks so that the Germans get stuck in the mud and in winter .

If you take that weeks of delay of thy could have taken moscow in late summer instead of a winter battle

Edited by Johan
Spelling

16 hours ago, Johan said:

The invasion of itali into greece from october1940 - til may 1941

That is the turning point I think because hitler had to help the italians what delayd operation barbarossa whit several weeks so that the Germans get stuck in the mud and in winter .

If you take that weeks of delay of thy could have taken moscow in late summer instead of a winter battle

It's an interesting theory.

Did German activity in the Balkans delay Barbarossa enough so that the Axis forces had to contend with Russian Autumn mud and Winter snow ?

Similarly, might Russian successes in Siberia ( Khalkin Gol etc 1939) have deterred a Japanese invasion there in 1941 so that Stalin was able to deploy his Siberian troops before Moscow without risk ?

3 hours ago, Philip Whitehouse said:

It's an interesting theory.

Did German activity in the Balkans delay Barbarossa enough so that the Axis forces had to contend with Russian Autumn mud and Winter snow ?

Similarly, might Russian successes in Siberia ( Khalkin Gol etc 1939) have deterred a Japanese invasion there in 1941 so that Stalin was able to deploy his Siberian troops before Moscow without risk ?

It also explain the germans missing enough supplies for the troops for fighting in winter conditions

Edited by Johan
Spelling

Failure to take Britain out of the war had incredible strategic implications for the Germans. A country with an empire, a massive navy and plenty of space to build bomber bases remained in the position to threaten their gains in the west.

With England (Britain) out of the war you can assume that the USA would not get involved, and if they would where would their staging area be? New York Harbor is a long way from Europe and Bombers couldn't fly that far. Not having a bomber threat meant that Germans could use the men (and woman) working the FLAK guns for something else.

It also meant that the Germans now had to start building the Atlantic Wall to defend their vulnerable coastline. The time, money and materials invested in it could then have been used elsewhere.

Invading Russia without taking out Britain was the turning point for me. 

• Like 2