Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

Introductions

On 2/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, Arun Dube said:

Thank you for accepting me as a member. I have a post graduate degree in History so the subject has always interested me.

Welcome aboard Arun, we are happy to have you onboard!  

Hi everyone.  My name is Jon and I'm from Windsor, Canada.  I've had an interest in history, particularly the period from the start of the first World War to the end of the 2nd.  I had a great uncle (my grandfather's brother) who served in North Africa and I believe that is where my interest originated.  I'm glad to be here and love to learn something new every day.  I'd also like to thank all the veterans who have posted introductions here and thank them for their service. 

Well Jon - You've come to the right place.  Many interesting topics on a daily basis.  My wife's uncle lost a leg in France after D-Day with the Canadian Army.  Caused difficulty for the rest of his life as the other leg was also shattered.  Canadian government set up an apprenticeship  as a diamond cutter and eventually moved to New York and worked in the diamond center.  Married my wife's Aunt in England.  A great guy - brought many family members both to Canada and the States.  Interesting family - they live in Canada, Australia and UK.  Anyway - he was part of the greatest generation - they don't make them that way anymore.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, William Beal said:

Well Jon - You've come to the right place.  Many interesting topics on a daily basis.  My wife's uncle lost a leg in France after D-Day with the Canadian Army.  Caused difficulty for the rest of his life as the other leg was also shattered.  Canadian government set up an apprenticeship  as a diamond cutter and eventually moved to New York and worked in the diamond center.  Married my wife's Aunt in England.  A great guy - brought many family members both to Canada and the States.  Interesting family - they live in Canada, Australia and UK.  Anyway - he was part of the greatest generation - they don't make them that way anymore.

William, yes I have indeed thank you!  My grandfather on my dad's side lost his leg but it was due to diabetes and he died when I was very young, 6 or 7 I think.  But as fate would have it, I was born with a large AVM (aerterious venous malformation) all through my right leg.  I have not had any amputations (yet) but I have had over 20 surgeries and had a knee replacement at the age of 42 in 2014,  It's given me an appreciation for life that I don't think I'd have otherwise, and although I have not lost that leg I think I can relate somewhat to those who did suffer grave injuries.  And that has done nothing but deepen my respect for them.  I've even been known to get emotional watching certain shows/documentaries, especially about veterans.  God bless them.