Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

Introductions

11 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

Very nice - and the snow adds to the image subject :)

Also adds a lot of rust and decay :(

3 hours ago, Able502 said:

Also adds a lot of rust and decay :(

Sadly most museums suffer from this - undercover storage costs an arm and a leg so some have to be stored outside.  Much depends on the funds available to the museum in question and the will of those in power to use them.  These exhibits look to be in better condition that the ones in the old US Armoured Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - every time they appeared on the TV they were covered in rust streaks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

These exhibits look to be in better condition that the ones in the old US Armoured Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - every time they appeared on the TV they were covered in rust streaks.

Yeah they were in terrible shape at some point but now they have been restored. If I recall correctly, the Elefant currently on loan in the UK Tank museum used to be rotting away at Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Able502 said:

Yeah they were in terrible shape at some point but now they have been restored. If I recall correctly, the Elefant currently on loan in the UK Tank museum used to be rotting away at Aberdeen. 

Yes, the Elefant is on loan to Bovvy and has been restored.  I was told the exhibits at Aberdeen had been relocated to a new museum - I do not know where - and were now undercover??

16 hours ago, Militant_Mk1 said:

Yes, the Elefant is on loan to Bovvy and has been restored.  I was told the exhibits at Aberdeen had been relocated to a new museum - I do not know where - and were now undercover??

Not sure about that either, will look into it!

I'm David K, originally from VA and now living in Lancaster, PA.

Have always been interested in military history -- having read every book on the subject in the county library by the time I was 15.

Particularly fascinated by parallels in history, such as the world before WW1 in comparison to today.

Hi Patriots,

I'm a 100% disabled Vietnam combat Veteran, 1968, 123rd Aviation Battalion,Company A (Huey) and Company B(OH-6, OH-23).  I served as crew chief and door gunner.

Married 47 years with 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters and one poor abused grandson.  My 19 yr old granddaughter Abby is attending LSU and in the Color Guard.

I'm retired from Bellsouth Telecommunications (South Central Bell, AT&T, etc.) I rode motorcycles all my life  until recently and I am a commercial pilot, although not flying anymore.(one leg and diabetes)

I love to hear your war stories.  Bring 'em on.Crewing a gunship.tifCrewing a gunship.tif

First Oh-23.tif 400x400 pixels.tif

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum, Scoutgunner. I'm proud to welcome a veteran to our midst. 

Thank you for your service!

Hi, Greetings from Singapore. I have a keen interest in war history since young although I am still learning (especially from War History). Thanks for allowing me to join. Warmest Regards, Sim.

• Like 1

A little history of my background .

On leavening school I joined the British Army and trained as a combat medical Technician . 1975-87 did 5 toured of Northern Ireland and the Falklands war have souvenirs gun shot wound N.I she'll splinters Falklands . And PTSD now to top it all I now have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 

Im Steve.

Already wrote blogs  in Other among the Wars section.

Ex Navy 1975-79, served USS Nashville, Belleau Wood.

SWM, 62

Pet parent

007 fan, Matt Helm,  Man from UNCLE, A Team, The Expendables, Memphis Belle, etc.

Pro Hi tech, Business, Ideas, innovation.

Like to see these:

Forrestal CV class Museum ship Okd someplace

More gun ranges, franchise or chain.

Recycle defense for peace IE ex Army Hummers, trucks, & Navy boats, equip, boots, fatigues etc. for the Public.

More ex nuclear subs for Museumships.

Rent ex WW2 tanks for Experience nationwide, use todays engines, trans etc for said tanks.

Replica Live fire WW2-Cold War era guns sale to the Public.

& more.

Veteran Cruise Line passenger.

Seen: NYC, Normandy, MS, Norfolk VA, Spain, Italy, TX, Alaska, Mexico, Canal Zone, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway.

Quite frankly, i can't get enough Military History! Just when you think you've exhausted all info on a topic..out of left field, comes something new.

My primary interests are Military Medicine, WW2 (I'm coming to Europe soon), Australian/NZ involvement in Vietnam War (I spend winter usually, in coastal city that was ANZAC Taskforce HQ)... I'm happiest in museums or walking battlefields, trying to imagine what Veterans i've spoken to, or read upon, might have experienced?

I don't pretend to be an authority on much at all. I like forums such as this, as participants form an immense knowledge bank that is readily updated, unlike conventional sources. I'm not meaning to despersonalise, but for all that i learn from you, i hope i may contribute in kind.

Cheers

Al

Ballarat, Vic, Australia

I was born in 1948 in the long standing military family in what used to be  Yugoslavia. My (paternal) grandfather died as a youngest Captain in Serbian army during opening fights in WWI at what's today known as Drina March. His career started at only second class of first Sebian than new military academy and earned mostly field promotions during 19i2 and 1913 Balkan wars.

My maternal grandfather was just a very young soldier at start of 1913 Balkan war, stationed at Bulgarian border and was taken prisoner by Bulgarians and suffered horrific torture when his back was practically whole skinned but survived as an invalid  to very old age until 1974.

My father was also an officer graduating from military academy (chemist and scientist) an 1930's. Managed to avoid being taken prisoner by Germans in 1941 and continued to supply medicine to both groups, partisans and chetniks (also civilians) until 1943 when he joined partisans but was never a communist. Retired in 1970 as a colonel in Yugoslav army. He was still a chemist and also a professor at civilian university and had many works published word wide helped by fluently speaking and writing in 5 languages including Latin.

I tried to follow their footsteps by joining air force cadets when I had some parachute jumps and soloed at gliders but washed out at academy because of eyesight. Later on I got single engine pilot license as civilian. I served in Yugoslav navy 1968 - 1970 (conscription) mostly on patrol boats in Adriatic as machine gunner on twin '50 Browning mount on modified Elco PT boat left by allies after WWII with reduced armament of one twin '50 mount and a 37mm Breda auto AA at the stern.  

I was a gun buff from very young age. Got my first rifle (a '22) for 7th birthday and a semi auto 6.35 Browning "Baby" at age of 9. Later on I loved to salvage and fix antique firearms and shooting black powder guns. Although I did a lot of shooting with many guns (some prototypes too for gun industry) my main love is still black powder. I was also pretty good at skeet and have many awards while living in Canada (1974 - 1997). Retired and returned to Serbia  1997. Collected and used a small lathe and other machines and tools which use to fix firearms and and also blades while also forging knives.

Edited by Count