Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Dunkirk, went to see it yesterday and was amazed.

I really liked the non-linear way the movie was cut, it kept me focussed as I had to keep track of events.
Music, if you can call it that, really added to the suspense. 
Dogfights, awesome but sometimes a bit long. However watching Spitfires battle it out with ME109s and Heinkels never gets old.

One other thing I liked was that in the last shots of the Hurricane they seemed to be flying over modern day Dunkirk which was a nice link to the present.

All in all, a movie I want to add to my DVD collection.

Well I guess I'm putting myself at the front of the room for the class to throw things at here lol.  But I really, REALLY did not like this film at all.  It's been a while since I've seen it now, as I think I went around Christmas time and it's now the end of March.  But my complaints were quite numerous, not the least of which was the film seemed to want to go out of it's way to paint soldiers as dumb and pretty mean spirited.  The two examples that stand out to me were the French "infiltrator" and that group taking refuge in the boat.  I mean come on, these guys spend how many hours/days together and NO ONE notices that this one guy NEVER speaks one word????  And I don't know about anyone else, but those would have to have been about the worst trained soldiers ever to have gone into that boat without any way to monitor what was happening around them, or posting a look out.  I didn't think the film did a very good job of building up to the big moment.  I think some stirring scenes of the fleet being put together could have helped.  Again, it's been too long since I've seen it but I really didn't like it at all.