Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Jeffers

TV MINI SERIES WORLD AT WAR

This series was first broadcasted by Thames television in 1973.It was also shown unedited on WNET and WGBT American television. It was, and still is, regarded as one of the best documentaries ever made. It has been shown many times since then all over the world but unfortunately for me it is only the edited version[cut for tv commercials].There are many copies of the edited version on the internet[You tube etc] but not the original.

When as young kids my brother and myself first watched the series in 1973 we recognised our grandfather in episode 4 titled "Alone" manning a small private craft going to help troops  evacuate from Dunkirk. It was not until recently we realised each other had independently seen this footage. Unfortunately the footage has been edited out in the footage now shown on TV etc. Despite many attempts to get hold of the original footage it has not been kept in archives of Thames or the American channels. We would like to get a copy of this for our family archives-clearly he was a brave man as a civilian volunteering to help get our troops home.

I just wondered maybe if anybody might have a copy of the original ORIGINAL  episode4 or could point me in the right direction.I have tried all the web sights on the little ships of Dunkirk etc

Any help anybody could give me would be gratefully received

• Like 1

Love the World at War series.

The blueprint and best documentary on World War 2 in my opinion.

The content is amazing with all the contenders who survived appearing on the show along with the haunting music and Lawrence Olivier narrating.

In regards your query it is worth checking Amazon and Ebay and see whether those on sale are the full versions or edited.

Older copies of things usually are less edited. 

Thames Television in their original form do not exist any more however the following lifted from wiki states they are alive in some form:

After Thames was acquired by FremantleMedia it was merged with another Fremantle company, Talkback Productions, to form a new independent production company Talkback Thames; consequently Thames ceased to exist as a separate entity. However, on 1 January 2012, the Thames brand was revived and Talkback Thames has now been split into four different labels; Boundless, Retort, Talkback and Thames within the newly created FremantleMedia UK production arm.

So I would suggest maybe contacting them direct and they may have further information.

Thanks but. have already tried Freemantle and indeed all the tv stations mentioned and no original videos on eBay.My best bet might be somebody who taped it at home,it's like trying to find a needle in a. haystack

Thanks but. have already tried Freemantle and indeed all the tv stations mentioned and no original videos on eBay.My best bet might be somebody who taped it at home,it's like trying to find a needle in a. haystack