Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Matt Falciola

Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?

Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?

• P-38 Lightning
    • P-47 Thunderbolt
    • P-51 Mustang

For me the fork-tailed devil, the P-38 lightning. What a beautiful plane, I hope to see one flying one day. 

11 hours ago, Joris said:

For me the fork-tailed devil, the P-38 lightning. What a beautiful plane, I hope to see one flying one day. 

I hope to fly in one of them some day! It's on my bucket list.

8 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

Not a huge fan of either three really.

If pushed to choose probably the P-47.

Favourite of all US planes in the war would probably be the Dakota and the Corsair.

P-40 is a nice looking plane too.

That's alright! P-40 is a good plane, even if it was an older one. Have you ever played the game war thunder?

17 hours ago, Matt Falciola said:

That's alright! P-40 is a good plane, even if it was an older one. Have you ever played the game war thunder?

I have recently, yes.

Someone else on here recommended it.

I've played a few hours a few weeks back.

Had a go with a tank but mostly planes.

Was fun. Haven't got used to the interface though with all the upgrades.

You like it then?

Takes an age to shoot anyone down.

I played world of tanks once and I always got killed in seconds so I gave up, how does War Thunder compare? 

4 hours ago, Joris said:

I played world of tanks once and I always got killed in seconds so I gave up, how does War Thunder compare? 

War thunder is much better. It pairs you up with people of your vehicle rank, but Idk about your skill rank. 

9 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

I have recently, yes.

Someone else on here recommended it.

I've played a few hours a few weeks back.

Had a go with a tank but mostly planes.

Was fun. Haven't got used to the interface though with all the upgrades.

You like it then?

Takes an age to shoot anyone down.

Pretty much the only game I play. You'll Love it, especially if you play a while. War thunder is much better than world of tanks in my opinion because it is more focused on realism like how the shell hits the tank, or the bullet hits the plane. It puts a lot of attention into detail. What country are you playing? I play america cuz I'm American but they don't have the best planes at the lower levels. Germans and japanese have more canons than machine guns, which makes it easier to shoot others down.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Matt Falciola said:

Pretty much the only game I play. You'll Love it, especially if you play a while. War thunder is much better than world of tanks in my opinion because it is more focused on realism like how the shell hits the tank, or the bullet hits the plane. It puts a lot of attention into detail. What country are you playing? I play america cuz I'm American but they don't have the best planes at the lower levels. Germans and japanese have more canons than machine guns, which makes it easier to shoot others down.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I am playing as the RAF as I am English.

I have spent ages shooting away at planes trying to take into count deflection.

I damage planes and then quite often they out skill me and I end up dead!

I think in the 3/4 games I have played I have shot down 1 plane!

Damaged a few.

I don't really play games much any more but it does look good and is fun.

One of those games you need to commit time to though.

Edited by Edward, The Black Prince

14 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I am playing as the RAF as I am English.

I have spent ages shooting away at planes trying to take into count deflection.

I damage planes and then quite often they out skill me and I end up dead!

I think in the 3/4 games I have played I have shot down 1 plane!

Damaged a few.

I don't really play games much any more but it does look good and is fun.

One of those games you need to commit time to though.

You're British? England is great. Yeah I was bummed when that happened with the USAAF. But i did stick at it and now I'm shooting planes down a lot faster now. 

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, Matt Falciola said:

You're British? England is great. Yeah I was bummed when that happened with the USAAF. But i did stick at it and now I'm shooting planes down a lot faster now. 

England's alright!

If you like history, particularly military and political, then it is a bit of a goldmine.

Where abouts in the US are you from?

I went to LA, San Diego and Chicago last year.

When I visit I do try and tick off as much US history as I can.

USS Iowa on the last visit and saw the Midway too. A couple of the active carriers were in port too.

Been to Peal Harbour a few years back and did the museum, tour by the Arizona, tour of USS Bowfin and also looked round the aviation museum. 

Love my history!

Berlin the year before.

PS I'll give the game another go I reckon.

Edited by Edward, The Black Prince

6 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

England's alright!

If you like history, particularly military and political, then it is a bit of a goldmine.

Where abouts in the US are you from?

I went to LA, San Diego and Chicago last year.

When I visit I do try and tick off as much US history as I can.

USS Iowa on the last visit and saw the Midway too. A couple of the active carriers were in port too.

Been to Peal Harbour a few years back and did the museum, tour by the Arizona, tour of USS Bowfin and also looked round the aviation museum. 

Love my history!

Berlin the year before.

PS I'll give the game another go I reckon.

I live in Northern New Jersey. So I've been to the Intrepid in New York a lot. And the Air and Space Museum in DC. Whereabouts ain England are you from?

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Joris said:

The P38 was an excellent aircraft. The P51D had the performance and the range. However the P47 D was a flying tank and the best ground attack aircraft on the allied side. It could take a lot of punishment and fly home with half the rotary engine shot away.

On 15/02/2018 at 2:20 PM, Matt Falciola said:

I live in Northern New Jersey. So I've been to the Intrepid in New York a lot. And the Air and Space Museum in DC. Whereabouts ain England are you from?

I'm east of Portsmouth on the south coast of England.

Its really good for history as a lot of the Battle of Britain was fought overhead and there are old runways dotted about and pill boxes and stuff.

Also the home of the Royal Navy is in Portsmouth and there loads to see HMS Victory, Warrior, Alliance and the D-Day musem (d-day launced from Portsmouth).

A lot older history too. Fair few castles about, forts, Roman stuff and iron age hill forts.

London not too far way as well and there is lots there.

Not been to New York yet. Would like too!

On 2/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, Nimrod said:

The P38 was an excellent aircraft. The P51D had the performance and the range. However the P47 D was a flying tank and the best ground attack aircraft on the allied side. It could take a lot of punishment and fly home with half the rotary engine shot away.

I agree. P-47 is best for ground attack, P-51 is best for dogfighting, and P-38 could go either way.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:34 PM, Edward, The Black Prince said:

I'm east of Portsmouth on the south coast of England.

Its really good for history as a lot of the Battle of Britain was fought overhead and there are old runways dotted about and pill boxes and stuff.

Also the home of the Royal Navy is in Portsmouth and there loads to see HMS Victory, Warrior, Alliance and the D-Day musem (d-day launced from Portsmouth).

A lot older history too. Fair few castles about, forts, Roman stuff and iron age hill forts.

London not too far way as well and there is lots there.

Not been to New York yet. Would like too!

Sounds awesome. Btw have you ever watched Foyle's War?

Going to have to go the P-38 out of the choices given. Just a superb looking aircraft.

Although favourite all time is the stubby little F4F.  Rugged little beast that held the line until the F6F came online. 

3 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

I haven't.

I've seen it advertised.

Any good?

I see its based in Hastings which is about 2 hours from me.

It's a show about a detective during WW2 who solves crimes that people commit on the homefront. Very realistic, no CGI or anything like that. It pays attention to history. You have to watch it closely though to pay attention to detail, so you can get the mystery. My family and I are going to visit England this August, and I plan to visit Hastings and Dover there, maybe take the chunnel over to Dunkirk. Lots of history.