Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Matt Falciola

Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?

Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite USAAF fighter plane?

• P-38 Lightning
    • P-47 Thunderbolt
    • P-51 Mustang

17 hours ago, Matt Falciola said:

It's a show about a detective during WW2 who solves crimes that people commit on the homefront. Very realistic, no CGI or anything like that. It pays attention to history. You have to watch it closely though to pay attention to detail, so you can get the mystery. My family and I are going to visit England this August, and I plan to visit Hastings and Dover there, maybe take the chunnel over to Dunkirk. Lots of history.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

Have fun in England!

Not to be too "picky," but the P-47 and EVERY other WWII aircraft that had one of those "round piston engines,"  had RADIAL, not ROTARY engines in them.  

The biggest difference (which you probably know) is that a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft and the crankcase, cylinders, etc rotate (as in a GnomeLe, Clerrget or Rhone Rotary - these were 3 WWI rotaries), and had the prop connected to this assembly of parts.  The P-47to, name only ONE aircraft, had a radial engine, in which the cylinders, etc are stationary and  the crankshaft was what rotated and had the prop connected to it.

• Like 1

It would have to be the P51 for me, because the question is USAF. The ones I particularly like though is not USAF, but NAVY, and is the Navy aircraft carrier planes, the ones who dominated the Pacific skies. The Grumman F6F Hellcat and the equally beautiful Vought F4U Cosair with its unique shaped wings. It would have been interesting for me to see them match up against a Messerschmitt Bf 109, or a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Würger, or even the Messerschmitt Bf 110 in the European theatre of WW2. With the underpowered F4F Wildcat at the beginning of the campaign matched to the vastly superior Mitsubishi A6M Zero American pilots were basically defenceless against this very fast Japanese fighter, but the Hellcat changed all of that.

12 hours ago, Gerhard Meyer said:

It would have to be the P51 for me, because the question is USAF. The ones I particularly like though is not USAF, but NAVY, and is the Navy aircraft carrier planes, the ones who dominated the Pacific skies. The Grumman F6F Hellcat and the equally beautiful Vought F4U Cosair with its unique shaped wings. It would have been interesting for me to see them match up against a Messerschmitt Bf 109, or a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Würger, or even the Messerschmitt Bf 110 in the European theatre of WW2. With the underpowered F4F Wildcat at the beginning of the campaign matched to the vastly superior Mitsubishi A6M Zero American pilots were basically defenceless against this very fast Japanese fighter, but the Hellcat changed all of that.

Play War Thunder and you could do just that, match them up against a Bf 109 or Fw

Posted (edited)

I am going to go for the P-47, A very solid brute plane for it's day, I was watching a documentary about an aerial battle over Germany that involved BF109's & P-47'S. A P47 had ran out of fuel and Was gliding in the air retreating back. A BF109 came up onto it's tail and starting firing it's guns. Once the Pilot fired enough he increased the throttle and flew alongside the P47 looking at the damage and wondering why the plane was still in the air and flying. The German pilot then fired a few short bursts again and then he went to check the damage again. This time the pilot backed off and disappeared into thin air. The US Pilot then stated that after a few minutes the 109 came back and started firing full until it's cannons ran out of ammo. The US Pilot stated that the German pilot again came up and they were flying wing to wing. The US Pilot said the German pilot was staring at the damage, shook his head, rocked his wings (as a salute) and then retreated.

Man I had goosebumps watching that part.

Edited by Shaheen
spelling

12 minutes ago, Shaheen said:

I am going to go for the P-47, A very solid brute plane for it's day, I was watching a documentary about an aerial battle over Germany that involved BF109's & P-47'S. A P47 had ran out of fuel and Was gliding in the air retreating back. A BF109 came up onto it's tail and starting firing it's guns. Once the Pilot fired enough he increased the throttle and flew alongside the P47 looking at the damage and wondering why the plane was still in the air and flying. The German pilot then fired a few short bursts again and then he went to check the damage again. This time the pilot backed off and disappeared into thin air. The US Pilot then stated that after a few minutes the 109 came back and started firing full until it's cannons ran out of ammo. The US Pilot stated that the German pilot again came up and they were flying wing to wing. The US Pilot said the German pilot was staring at the damage, shook his head, rocked his wings (as a salute) and then retreated.

Man I had goosebumps watching that part.

I read about that in a plane book I have. The pilot's name was Robert Johnson I think, and his plane was "Half Pint"