Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Maksym Chornyi

Mauthausen Concentration Camp Today (2017)

In 2017 I’ve journeyed to Austria and the Mauthausen Concentration Camp, near Linz. I’ve studied the history of the main sites and want to share it with my photos of how it looks today. A 5000-words material for those, who are interested.

https://war-documentary.info/mauthausen-concentration-camp-today/

mauthausen-main-eng.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I visited the camp a decade ago some of it still haunts me today. Truly a terrible place. 

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, Maksym Chornyi said:

In 2017 I’ve journeyed to Austria and the Mauthausen Concentration Camp, near Linz. I’ve studied the history of the main sites and want to share it with my photos of how it looks today. A 5000-words material for those, who are interested.

mauthausen-main-eng.jpg

Excellent work!

I've visited Dachau which was an experience.

4 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

Excellent work!

I've visited Dachau which was an experience.

I visited about 25 camps but you never forget the first one you go in and when you go you are a different person .

List I have visited :  flossenburg torgau hinzert dachau bergen belsen breendonk treblinka madanjek ravensbruck sachsenhausen terresienstad mathaussen dora/mittelbau natzweiler Stutthof buchenwald neuengange auschwitz grob-rosen belzec amersfoort vught sobibor some of them are intact some barely a building left.

13 hours ago, Johan said:

I visited about 25 camps but you never forget the first one you go in and when you go you are a different person .

List I have visited :  flossenburg torgau hinzert dachau bergen belsen breendonk treblinka madanjek ravensbruck sachsenhausen terresienstad mathaussen dora/mittelbau natzweiler Stutthof buchenwald neuengange auschwitz grob-rosen belzec amersfoort vught sobibor some of them are intact some barely a building left.

Blimey that's a long list!

What was the most interesting?

I think everyone should visit one in their lifetime.

Will genuinely ground everyone.

10 hours ago, Edward, The Black Prince said:

Blimey that's a long list!

What was the most interesting?

I think everyone should visit one in their lifetime.

Will genuinely ground everyone.

Madanjek and ravensbruck  and birkenau  (auschwitz2)

1 madanjek 

Because it is almost intact  because the germans had no time to destroy it

2 ravensbruck 

Because it was a woman only camp and the prison inside the camp is stil intact and when you walk to the main gate on the outside  the buildings of the  Siemens and blaupunkt are stil there were the prisoners had work

3 birkenau 

Because it is unbelievable how big it is

But every one of them has special things I read allot of books on this subject so I wanted to see the places I read about  for example a book about nacht und nebel prisoners ( it was a extra punishment for resistance fighters) from holland were send to natzweiler in France so I visited the place to see what is left of it and in honour of the people in that book.

I also agree with you that everybody should visit at least one camp.

I think it could be a good subject for children about 14-16 years on their schools to show them that peace and all the freedoms we have is not for granted. 

• Like 1

When I have time I will post some pictures of the camps . Al my trips through Europe my father joined me he was a amateur photographer not really interested in the second world war but loved to take pictures of al that he thought was interesting.  Sadly hè died 4 months ago but the pictures are stil on his laptop and it' s a little bit difficult to find the right ones because there are 35 thousand pictures on it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2018 at 7:44 PM, Johan said:

I forgot breendonk

On 2/15/2018 at 8:58 PM, Maksym Chornyi said:

mauthausen-main-eng.jpg

Just soooo sad, but we must never forget - Rob Australia

• Like 1