Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

George Collins

Cold War Era Anti-Tank Defences

Question

I wonder if anyone can elaborate on the alleged Cold War era underground explosives laid out across West Germany to counter expected massive Soviet tank offensive. I vaguely remember it mentioned somewhere, but never read or heard anything definitive on that. 

3 answers to this question

I'll join you in this question, I've heard about it too but nothing solid. 

• Like 1

During the Cold war the Warsaw Pakt forces followed the "Sokolovsky doctrine", which requires that success is immediately reinforced.This would have made the forces from the East somewhat predictable, and encouraged NATO to DELIBERATELY fall back into prepared "kill zone" positions, thereby sucking Russian forces (and reinforcements!) into the kill-zone (because NATO's falling back would have looked like an advance by Soviet forces) I think we might be talking about those-pre-prepared falling-back zones, Worth aso bearing in mind that most Russian post WW2 tanks were designed with so called "frying pan" low profile turrets, which left minimal amounts of room for inclination or declination of the main armament. Tank guns usually rely on high velocity projectiles, meaning that you point the gun pretty much directly at the target.Russian tanks weren't very good at shooting uphill OR downhill. Israel when fighting against Syria on the Golan Heights (Israel using by-then obsolete Centurions, Syria with T55's) were able to turn large numbers of Syrian tanks into Swiss cheese from a distance, because THEIR tanks COULD shoot downhill, and the Syrians were unable to return their fire....

The bridges in West Germany did have, and still do, have pre-made demolition chambers for explosive charges so that they could quickly be blown.  There was also some discussion in US Combat Engineer journals about using Small Atomic Demolition Munitions above ground as a means of wrecking an large tank offensive. The US Corps of Engineers were responsible for the use of such weapons.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Stephen N Russell
      Love to see a documentary mini about when 3 SR71s over flew Hanoi & made sonic boom in 1972 while war  raged & boosted POW morale.
      Awesome morale story via the SR 71.
      Has anyone served in any SR 71 Sqdn, Group during the Cold War & Vietnam?
      Did anyone here about Hanoi sonic boom buzz in 1972.
      Any way we can contact ex Nam POWs about sonic boom buzz??
      Make an awesome story to tell.
      Anything A-Z on SR 71 from those who Served in said Squadrons, Wing, Group aside Skunk Works ex employees IF declassfied.

• By CharlesHouston
      Espionage is a part of warfare so this is written in that spirit.
      I just finished a book “Operation SOLO” by John Barron and it was very good - also a dense book since it is full of details. For my taste, John pushes his opinions into the book too much - he works hard to insert some criticism of Martin Luther King, Angela Davis, etc. That criticism may or may not be accurate but it didn’t fit well into this narrative.
      The story is how Morris Childs started out as a Communist who attended a school in Moscow that trained people to go back to their home countries and be agents of the Soviet Union. He went back to the U.S. and worked his way into being the Deputy for the U.S. Communist Party, and the financier for it. Morris Childs worked with Gus Hall, Chairman of the U.S. Communist Party, for decades. Morris was brought into the confidence of all of the significant Communist figures of the Cold War, traveled to  all of the significant Communist countries and meetings, etc. After reading the “secret” speech by Kruschev he became disillusioned and started working for the FBI. The FBI ran Morris and most of his family as political agents - they visited the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, Europe, etc etc etc and gathered the thoughts and goals of the various leaders. 
      The book has some remarkable photos - Morris Childs with Brezhnev, Gus Hall, and lots of Soviet luminaries! But also with FBI Director William Sessions! Morris was decorated by the highest levels of both sides of the Cold War. Morris worked both sides from 1958 until 1981 - an amazing length of time. It is amazing that the Childs family could carry off this deception for years - giving the U.S. a tremendous insight into the thoughts of all of the significant Communist leaders. The Soviets passed millions of dollars to Morris, who reported it all to the FBI - so they knew exactly who was getting the money and how much. 
      During most of this time, Morris Childs had terrible health. He had had heart attacks, etc. but he kept traveling the world going to Communist meetings. It is remarkable that he is quoted many times saying how he despised the Communists he worked so closely with for so very long - how can you spend so much time with them and hide your true feelings?
      With all of this insight, I have to ask why the U.S. was caught unaware so many times. The answer is in part that the information was so valuable that the FBI could only tell a very few people about it - which is a tremendous handicap. Also leaders on both sides do things that make sense at the time - to appease political needs, to reward or punish people, etc. 
      I have read a number of books about the Cold War and espionage and have to conclude that very little is ever kept secret. Both sides were riddled with spies - Oleg Penkovsky, Aldrich Ames, etc etc etc. This tells me that no conspiracy can ever be kept secret long - Morris Childs got away with his mission so long since so few people knew about it. 
    • By Stephen N Russell
      What if the following occured:
      Lincoln was NOT shot April 1865.
      JFK was NOT shot in Nov 1963 & the outcome of the coming Vietnam War.
      Teddy Roosevelt ran for President 2X: early 1900s after  McKinnley shooting  & then for WW1.
      Woodrow Wilson ran for  President & won in 1918 cementing plans for  League  of Nations idea.

• By Stephen N Russell
      Anyone served in Task Force Delta to improve the American GI during Vietnam War era. Or the 1st Earth Battillion?

Task Force Delta is, was a " New Age" research Unit.
      The Unit commander was Jim Channon?
      Have show on AHC Codes & Conspiracies.
      Fodder for TV movie, movie, TV serial??
      Movie: Men Who Stare at Goats.
      Ideas, comments.

1st Earth Batt needs its own Museum & or Archieve if viable Today or place  within a Vietnam War Museum.

• By Stephen N Russell
      How many of Saddams palaces survived the war & then Iraq War 2
      Are any suitable for tourism or hotels???
      How many are owned by the Iraq govt  or college???
      Or are most razed save those used by US Command then in area?
      Never seen any pics or vidoes or seen use in movies IE 3 Kings?