Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

I can't be relied upon as a good source with this.  However I did read or hear something once that when he (Churchill) initially came up with it and did so as in the picture (palm facing inward) someone suggested to him that it looked too much like the middle finger salute and so he changed it.  But again, I don't know if that's true at all because I can't remember where I saw/heard that.

2 hours ago, Jon M Brown said:

I can't be relied upon as a good source with this.  However I did read or hear something once that when he (Churchill) initially came up with it and did so as in the picture (palm facing inward) someone suggested to him that it looked too much like the middle finger salute and so he changed it.  But again, I don't know if that's true at all because I can't remember where I saw/heard that.

That basically was made into a scene in "The Darkest Hour" with Gary Oldman playing Churchill, where his personal secretary tells him that inward V means "up your bum" in poor quarters and makes him laugh. Don't know if it's really happened, or it's not just made up for a cute effect.  

I did see that movie George but that is not where I first heard that.  I've been trying to recall but it's just not coming back to me.  Hopefully someone here will have some info.