Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Buflo39

Would we have dropped Atom bomb on Germany?

Question

Here is a big if question, had Germany attacked the US instead of Japan,( realize their was some U-Boat action on the east coast) and Japan surrendered first and Germany was not giving any indication of surrendering  So here is my ? Do any of you think the United States would have dropped the Atom bomb on Germany? My feeling is no,for a variety of reasons. Be interested to hear any responses. Again I realize this is a BIG if ?

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Buflo39 said:

Do any of you think the United States would have dropped the Atom bomb on Germany? 

The fire bombing of Dresden was no less horrific than any of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan. It's just that atomic bombs were not available for action before the summer of 1945, I don't think.

HI George,thanks for the reply. I understand your point, the fire bombing of Tokyo  came close to both atomic bombs as far as casualties are concerned. But we still felt we had to drop the atom bomb,for reasons to long to go into now.The question remains if the situation was reversed would we have used the atomic bomb on Germany?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Buflo39 said:

But we still felt we had to drop the atom bomb,for reasons to long to go into now.The question remains if the situation was reversed would we have used the atomic bomb on Germany?

Reasons are inferred from circumstances, and circumstances differ in different scenarios by definition. I suspect that it would be very tempting to use the atomic bomb before the D-Day, if the bomb was available and especially if Hitler's whereabouts were at least approximately known. 'Cos you know, the landing in Normandy looks as a sure thing only in hindsight, and it was the "make or break" operation for the Allies.    

Edited by George Collins

The designers and builders of the first Atomic bombs always assumed that they would be dropped on Germany, with the primary targets the industrial Ruhr Valley.  When Germany collapsed, the scientist thought that bomb development would be stopped.  Most were against dropping in on Japan, or having a demonstration drop.  The scientists led a very sheltered life in the New Mexico desert.  They knew that the Nazis were bad, but had no idea about how nasty the fighting with Japan had gotten.

• Like 1

Dropping it on the Ruhr would have been catastrophic for the neighboring countries too as it lies on the Western border of Germany next to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

9 hours ago, Joris said:

Dropping it on the Ruhr would have been catastrophic for the neighboring countries too as it lies on the Western border of Germany next to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

That was the targeting list that was being considered.  The other possibility was the synthetic oil plants, that were proving to be very hard to knock out with conventional weapons.  I am not sure with an airburst the atonic bombs as built would have been any better than conventional weapons.  For that type of target a surface burst would be required.

Remember that the ones actually used were what would be low-yield weapons now.  The Little Boy used on Hiroshima was betwee 12.5 and 15 kilotons (I have seen both figures cited(, while the Fat Man on Nagasaki was about 22 kilotons.  An airburst to maximize overpressure would present limited fallout hazards, as it would be very widely dispersed.

• Like 1

Thai you to all that replied, somewhere a long the line I missed the notion that the atomic bomb was originally meant for Germany.Well you learn something new everyday. Thank you again everyone.

• Like 1