Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Simon Thomas

what vehicles are these?

Question

A friend of mine who's Grandfather is in the photo, has asked what vehicles these are? the picture was taken in India.

thanks in advance

IMG_1517.JPG

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Simon Thomas said:

A friend of mine who's Grandfather is in the photo, has asked what vehicles these are? the picture was taken in India.

thanks in advance

IMG_1517.JPG

I am not sure but I think it' this one 

an-old-british-army-ferret-scout-car-at-smallwood-vintage-rally-with-B0XG5Y.thumb.jpg.e623ea64b0704fa97a19fa42f1d8fa2c.jpg

It' s a ferret scout

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, Johan said:

I am not sure but I think it' this one 

an-old-british-army-ferret-scout-car-at-smallwood-vintage-rally-with-B0XG5Y.thumb.jpg.e623ea64b0704fa97a19fa42f1d8fa2c.jpg

It' s a ferret scout

It looks quite like the Alvis-made "Ferret", but I suspect is somewhat older - try the Daimler Armoured Car. Like the guy said, the photograph was taken in INDIA, therefore (judging by the apparent ethnicity of the crews, BEFORE India was partitioned or it was granted independence.) The Ferret, and various other Alvis-made armoured vehicles (the Saracen Armoured car, Saladin APC, Sultan, command vehicle, Samaritan Ambulance.. etc., etc.,) made a major contribution to UK post-war arms sales... but not, if memory serves, to India, which started buying heavily subsidised Russian gear. So we're looking for a light(-ish) reconnaisance vehicle dating from a period towards the end of WW2, looks like the picture AND which was used in India.. And the Daimler fits the bill rather well!.

Daimler Dingo.jpg

Edited by Ron Walker
got the Dingo mixed up with the armoured car!

16 minutes ago, Ron Walker said:

It looks quite like the Alvis-made "Ferret", but I suspect is somewhat older - try the Daimler Armoured Car. Like the guy said, the photograph was taken in INDIA, therefore (judging by the apparent ethnicity of the crews, BEFORE India was partitioned or it was granted independence.) The Ferret, and various other Alvis-made armoured vehicles (the Saracen Armoured car, Saladin APC, Sultan, command vehicle, Samaritan Ambulance.. etc., etc.,) made a major contribution to UK post-war arms sales... but not, if memory serves, to India, which started buying heavily subsidised Russian gear. So we're looking for a light(-ish) reconnaisance vehicle dating from a period towards the end of WW2, looks like the picture AND which was used in India.. And the Daimler fits the bill rather well!.

Daimler Dingo.jpg

I think you are right  but I am not a expert only trying to help

5 hours ago, Simon Thomas said:

found this what do you guys think?

Image result for indian army armoured cars 1940s

I considered - then rejected - the Humber. Too tall, and the turret doesn't look right. I have doubts about the Daimler - the driver's hatch on the original piccies seems to be large, and slightly offset to the right. Note also, with the Humber, the "lip" at the top of the Glacis plate to prevent incoming fire getting under the turret. Too bad that Jim, my former father-in-law is no longer with us: he enlisted in the Indian Army in 1936, Their equipment was NOT (entirely) the same as that used by the British Army. The "Brits" used the BREN gun, the Indian army used the (very similar looking) Vickers Berthier. Could be that the pictures are of a variety of armoured car/recce' vehicle that was peculiar to the Indian Army (and with which I'm unfamiliar) The Mk2 VB LMG is a case in point. Most people see it and say "That's a Bren Gun" Except it's NOT!

vickers-berthier_mk2.jpg

• Like 1