Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Jon M Brown

WW1 Monument to be taken down due to cross shape????

I read recently that a WW1 monument in Maryland, U.S.A has to be taken down because it is cross shaped.  A 'humanist' group filed a lawsuit complaining that since it is a government site, the cross shape violates the whole 'separation of church and state' business.  I'm curious about a couple of things.  First, why is this a problem now?  The first thing that came to mind when I read about this was if, at the time the monument was first constructed it was a problem or even offensive to any non-Christian veterans, I would think THEY should have been the ones to object, no?  Something doesn't sit right with me about people waiting 100 years and then coming up with a complaint about a monument dedicated to people who aren't here to speak for themselves.  Perhaps there should be a law whereby any such complaints or objections have to be made during the planning of such things and after a certain number of years, it is considered a historical landmark, a reflection of perhaps changing values and sensitivities and must be left alone for that reason.  I'm anxious to hear your opinions...especially if there are any veterans here. 

2 hours ago, Jon M Brown said:

Something doesn't sit right with me about people waiting 100 years and then coming up with a complaint about a monument dedicated to people who aren't here to speak for themselves.  

There's no rhyme or reason in this kind of complaints. To satisfy all real or perceived 'offenses' most cities in the world would have to be pretty much razed to the ground.

6 hours ago, George Collins said:

There's no rhyme or reason in this kind of complaints. To satisfy all real or perceived 'offenses' most cities in the world would have to be pretty much razed to the ground.

I couldn't agree more George.  But where is the impetus for such movements in the first place?  I mean, to me when you boil this down it's really a form of bigotry.  Yes, modern Western civilization was founded mostly by Christians and on Christian ethics, so what's the problem?  If you aren't Christian, great, no problem.  But why then spend money, time and effort on coming after anything that remotely represents Christianity?  And in this case in particular, this monument is PRIMARILY a war memorial and only secondarily and only through a certain perspective has anything to do with Christianity.  So by that definition alone, this was clearly motivated by malice. 

• Like 1

Agreed, yes the landmark is to a point religious, but it is more about remembering those who have fallen to protect us. The reason some people do this is for equality. No religion should be in the government, that I can agree on, but some people take it to far. Even though this is a cross, it is not because of religion. Yet some people don't care about the people who died for us and just care about the religious symbol. Lets hope this doesn't escalate.

On 29/03/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jarrett balz said:

Agreed, yes the landmark is to a point religious, but it is more about remembering those who have fallen to protect us. The reason some people do this is for equality. No religion should be in the government, that I can agree on, but some people take it to far. Even though this is a cross, it is not because of religion. Yet some people don't care about the people who died for us and just care about the religious symbol. Lets hope this doesn't escalate.

But surely,whether a particular individual chooses to be a Christian or not is rather beside the point. Of course, the cross is of religious significance. How can it be anything else ?

Like it or not, Western Civilization is found on  Christian terms. It's an inherent part of western culture and therefore cannot be ignored.

Western philosophy, Western thinking is rather an amalgamation of Athens and Jerusalem (to put it geographically). It's undeniable..