Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Deni Denison

Royal Air Force

I appreciate your articles on British aircraft but you need to correct your terminology.  There is no such thing  as, The British Air Force, or, The British Royal Air Force, it is and always will be, the Royal Air Force.  We were the first independent Air Force and do not carry any country in our title; thus we are the only one who doesn't need an identifier.

That said, I appreciate that the quality and variety of you aviation related articles and photographs, so will continue to read with enjoyment. 

former Warrant Officer, Royal Air Force, (37 years service). 

• Like 2

Couldn't the same be said  for "The Royal Navy "and "The Royal Marines" ?

Conversely, it would be quite wrong to call the British Army,"The Royal Army".

• Like 1

The British Army does not carry Royal because of the Civil War.  You are right about the Royal Navy and the Royal Marines, worldwide they are recognised as British and therefore don't need a country in their respective titles. 

20 hours ago, Deni Denison said:

The British Army does not carry Royal because of the Civil War.  You are right about the Royal Navy and the Royal Marines, worldwide they are recognised as British and therefore don't need a country in their respective titles. 

Not sure about that. Individual Corps and Regiments carry the "Royal" title; Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers etc.

How does the Civil War come into the picture ?

According to our history teacher, in days of yore.  The Army will never carry the title Royal because during the Civil War they were the power behind Cromwell, (Halifax's New Army), in the period that Britain hadn't a throne.  Individual regiments carry the title Royal because they were subsequent to the Monarchy being restored and therefore had Royal approval.  There are also military elements bearing 'Royal' because they earned Royal approval through their battle honours.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deni Denison said:

According to our history teacher, in days of yore.  The Army will never carry the title Royal because during the Civil War they were the power behind Cromwell, (Halifax's New Army), in the period that Britain hadn't a throne.  Individual regiments carry the title Royal because they were subsequent to the Monarchy being restored and therefore had Royal approval.  There are also military elements bearing 'Royal' because they earned Royal approval through their battle honours.     

And yet the Coldstream Guards: lineal descendents of General Monck's regiment of the New Model: became part of her Majesty's Brigade of Guards

Indeed they are, but they are not accorded 'Royal' in their title.  (I am only passing on what I have been told by higher authority, who claims to understand the army lineage, etc.  Also, don't ask me to explain which regiment is classed as 'First of Foot' because I have seen that discussion finish up with fisticuffs.  Being former Royal Air Force, my service is much more straightforward!)

7 hours ago, Deni Denison said:

Indeed they are, but they are not accorded 'Royal' in their title.  (I am only passing on what I have been told by higher authority, who claims to understand the army lineage, etc.  Also, don't ask me to explain which regiment is classed as 'First of Foot' because I have seen that discussion finish up with fisticuffs.  Being former Royal Air Force, my service is much more straightforward!)

I thought that the "First of Foot" was the Royal Scots, with a lineage so ancient that were nicknamed "Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard".

THe Coldstreams, as the second Regiment of the Household Brigade, nevertheless have the motto "Second To None".

• Like 1

I am only passing on what I have been told by higher authority, who claims to understand the army lineage, etc.  Also, don't ask me to explain which regiment..

CCleaner Happy Wheels  VLC

Edited by klimbo12