Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Lindsay Westphal

Denmark in the Vietnam War ?

Question

I had previously read about Denmark's involvement in the Vietnam War, but all I read was of stories like this - http://thetandd.com/news/topnews/it-was-just-rough-denmark-veteran-still-thinks-about-classmates/article_e4190b07-431e-5829-988b-5a9020e8807c.html

Officially, Denmark was not part of the southern military, but of course, articles like above show they were.

I am yet to find anything off the internet that shows Denmark was an active participant in combat in that war. I met a guy in Saigon in 2016 from Denmark. He claims he was one of 8,000 Danish soldiers seconded to the US military to fight in Vietnam. The above article supports a basis of truth to this. This guy told me he served a year in Vietnam as a combat soldier under secondment wearing a US uniform. I simply can't find a reference I would hang my hat on.. I understand only through hear-say and through direct conversations with guys who claimed they served there that other combat soldiers were seconded from Canada, England, France, Norway and Sweden to serve as (pretend) US soldiers in the war.  I would really love to find some documentation to show this actually occurred.

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

What one usually hears is some variation of "I could tell you more, but it is a secret," or "all the documents are sealed," or "the operations I was in were so secret that nothing was ever written down."

These should set off thousands of little alarm bells . . . if the event or events were so much of a secret, why is this guy telling you, a total stranger?  This is a come-on.

Mostly these people are, let me see, what would be a good description, how about "liars."  It is a cottage industry.  You'd be surprised how many Vietnam veterans were there, if you do the math, when they were 10 years old.

Were there foreign nationals is the US Army who served in Vietnam? Why, yes, but not as part of some national trade-off, only as individuals. Rick Rescorla comes to mind, look him up.  A single individual joining the US Army after arriving in the US; typical of foreign nationals in US service.

Edited by R Leonard

4 hours ago, R Leonard said:

What one usually hears is some variation of "I could tell you more, but it is a secret," or "all the documents are sealed," or "the operations I was in were so secret that nothing was ever written down."

These should set off thousands of little alarm bells . . . if the event or events were so much of a secret, why is this guy telling you, a total stranger?  This is a come-on.

I think you misunderstood.... He did not say "secret". Refer also where I have spoken with genuine combat veterans who from time to time raise the point of combat soldiers from other countries under secondment. I have been shown a letter from the Minister for Australian Defence Personnel confirming some British served as combat soldiers in the Vietnam war. I read an article some time back of British military personnel working covertly in Vietnam in areas of artillery spotters and surveillance. I would suggest that Operation Patriot is supportive evidence.

Posted (edited)

Document.  Show me an official document.  Otherwise it is all posers and conspiracy theory that depends on gullibility.

The Australians were well involved in Vietnam and exchanges of personnel between them and other commonwealth nations was not at all unusual, but this does not come close to being seconded to US forces.

oh, and the guy in your link?  Maybe you should read closer and see where he as born in Raleigh North Carolina USA, joined the army, served his three years and returned home.  The article is from 2015 and notes he and his wife now live in Denmark.  That hardly makes him a Danish soldier who was shuffled of to Vietnam.

Edited by R Leonard