Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Lindsay Westphal

Chemical Bombs of USA in Cambodia?

Question

Frequently reported in Cambodia media , are press releases from the Government claiming "more US chemical bombs found".  I can not find anything.... Did USA use chemical bombs in Cambodia?   My understanding is that USA did not use chemical bombs since WW1.  Although, Agent Orange did contain some nasties, but not as a bomb, but as a spray.

4 answers to this question

On 5/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, Lindsay Westphal said:

Frequently reported in Cambodia media , are press releases from the Government claiming "more US chemical bombs found".  I can not find anything.... Did USA use chemical bombs in Cambodia?   My understanding is that USA did not use chemical bombs since WW1.  Although, Agent Orange did contain some nasties, but not as a bomb, but as a spray.

My understanding - not that I have a book that gives references - is that the U.S. used tear gas in Cambodia but not any sort of poison. I will look through my library...

On 5/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, Lindsay Westphal said:

Lindsay, I think we need to define "chemical bombs".   A chemical weapon (CW) is a specialized munition that uses chemicals formulated to inflict death or harm on humans.  These are your blood, nerve and blister agents.

Tear gas, CS, is used for policing and riot control.  In most cases, CS is not lethal.  I say this because that is how it is classified.  US troops are exposed to a weak form of this in "tear gas chambers" in their first weeks of training.   When I was stationed in the Panama Canal, we used tear gas in its powdered form for riot control training.    We were briefed that it could be flammable, and toxic in the right concentrations.    This was seen in the FBI's standoff Waco Texas a few years ago.

This being said, the US did use tear gas in Vietnam.  I have never seen, read or heard of chemical weapons being used in Southeast Asia.

I  shot tear gas out of an M-203, 40mm   grenade launcher at military targets.  I have heard and seen pictures of the Marines using tear gas in the battle of Hue in 1968.

It makes a great smoke screen and for people who have not been exposed to it, it causes your eyes and nose to drain.    It also gives them a great desire to be somewhere else.   But it does not kill them.  

For it to turn up in Cambodia does not surprise me.  If we had it, generally, I  think we gave it to our allies.

6 hours ago, Joe Rich said:

Lindsay, I think we need to define "chemical bombs".   A chemical weapon (CW) is a specialized munition that uses chemicals formulated to inflict death or harm on humans.  These are your blood, nerve and blister agents.

Tear gas, CS, is used for policing and riot control.  In most cases, CS is not lethal.  I say this because that is how it is classified.  US troops are exposed to a weak form of this in "tear gas chambers" in their first weeks of training.   When I was stationed in the Panama Canal, we used tear gas in its powdered form for riot control training.    We were briefed that it could be flammable, and toxic in the right concentrations.    This was seen in the FBI's standoff Waco Texas a few years ago.

This being said, the US did use tear gas in Vietnam.  I have never seen, read or heard of chemical weapons being used in Southeast Asia.

I  shot tear gas out of an M-203, 40mm   grenade launcher at military targets.  I have heard and seen pictures of the Marines using tear gas in the battle of Hue in 1968.

It makes a great smoke screen and for people who have not been exposed to it, it causes your eyes and nose to drain.    It also gives them a great desire to be somewhere else.   But it does not kill them.  

For it to turn up in Cambodia does not surprise me.  If we had it, generally, I  think we gave it to our allies.

Thank you for the info. Use of CS gas I am well aware of specifically with tunnels in  Vietnam. What is claimed by Cambodian Government is that these "Chemical bombs" are causing serious burns and death. I know of no such bomb used by US since WW1.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50108643/more-chemical-bomb-sites-found/

• Thanks 1

Lindsay, "What is claimed by Cambodian Government is that these "Chemical bombs" are causing serious burns and death. I know of no such bomb used by the US since WW1. "

One of the other articles attached to this one states that it is CS-2.  It states that CS-2 is a stronger version of CS.  The powder can cause minor burns on the skin when the powder mixes with sweet.  It turns into a weak acid.  It is nothing you want to breathe a lot of.