Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Lindsay Westphal

1937 Nanjing/Nanking massacre movie questions

Question

While I do take an active interest, I know little about the Nanking massacre. Does t really take my interest. I just started watching a movie on line called " The Flowers of War" (a.k.a. Jin ling shi san chai.)  Christian BALE appeared in this Chines made movie.

Taking my interest and hence my questions....

At about the 11 minute mark of the movie, you see Chinese soldiers defending against the Japanese.....

# The Chinese soldiers are wearing German style helmets... Is this accurate or just the movie?

# The Chinese Soldiers are using "potato masher" grenades. Is this accurate or just the movie?

#### My big question, as the movie does not explain it... In a Chinese foot soldier attack on the Japanese tanks, they are wrapping multiple (potato masher) grenades in blankets and then soaking in water.... Why is that? am I missing something? I do not understand why wrapping grenades in a blanket and soaking in water would make a difference. I know that water can not be compressed, but I fail to see how this would make a "bomb" more effective.

Your thoughts ??

2 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

1.  Yes, the helmets are correct.  The Nationalists were advised by Germans from 1928 to 1938.  They were also supplied German weapons and surplus equipment, including helmets.  It was a tidy money maker for German industry.  The advisors were former military personnel.

2.  Yes, see above.  Not to mention that stick grenades are fairly easy to manufacture.

3.  A very crude, field expedient shaped charge. Wet blanket serves to momentarily channel the force of the combined explosion in the direction of the flat end.  Theoretically long enough to blow a hole through what armor a 1930s Japanese tank might possess.  Not really something to toss, more something to place where you want it, like to top of a turret, flat side down.  A lot of wishful thinking.  "vell . . . it should verk . . ."

Edited by R Leonard

On 7/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, R Leonard said:

1.  Yes, the helmets are correct.  The Nationalists were advised by Germans from 1928 to 1938.  They were also supplied German weapons and surplus equipment, including helmets.  It was a tidy money maker for German industry.  The advisors were former military personnel.

2.  Yes, see above.  Not to mention that stick grenades are fairly easy to manufacture.

3.  A very crude, field expedient shaped charge. Wet blanket serves to momentarily channel the force of the combined explosion in the direction of the flat end.  Theoretically long enough to blow a hole through what armor a 1930s Japanese tank might possess.  Not really something to toss, more something to place where you want it, like to top of a turret, flat side down.  A lot of wishful thinking.  "vell . . . it should verk . . ."

Thank you