Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Steven Rowland

Help with missile/rocket identification

Question

3 answers to this question

Looks pretty much like the Bristol "Bloodhound" SAM of late 1950's-1960's vintage. Looks to be of a similar size and configuration... therefore probably of a similar vintage and for a similar purpose. The pictures below are the (Mk 1) Bloodhound and one of its Soviet equivalents, the .S-25. The fin configuration however isn't right...But it looked damned familiar... THEN the penny dropped. I OWNED ONE back when I was a kid in the early sixties - one made by Corgi Toys, a popular UK manufacturer of die-cast model cars. This is a Bristol THUNDERBIRD. The rear fins in the third picture below seem to match your picture very well. It was an airfield defence weapon intended to protect the R.A.F. bases of Britain's "V-Bombers" from air attack. Built just outside of Bristol at BAC's Filton Factory. (About a 30 minute walk from where I was raised!)

Bloodhound_SAM.jpg

S-25 Berkut.jpg

corgi-major-toys-bristol-bloodhound.jpg

After further research, I'm now 100% SURE it's a Thunderbird. Here's a snapshot of a Thunderbird on Display at the Midland air museum (in England)

Thunderbird_ground_to_air_missile_22n07.JPG