Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Randy Pence

General John Pershing

I recently got this postcard from eBay.  To me, the person on the lead horse sure looks like Pershing.  Is this my

imagination, or did I get lucky with this real photo post card?503512865_Scan3.thumb.jpeg.150f31b7b8f0337e687800feaf29987e.jpeg

If it isn't him, it's his twin. I went into the stock pictures and saw several that show him on horseback from a quartering angle. The rider here also has the general grade blanket extension in front of the saddle. Those displayed the rank. I can't see the rank on this one so can't be sure.

My guess is that you got really lucky here. Congratulations.

I just read an entry in the WW I section about the Mexican Expedition and it mentions the entry parade into Paris by the recently arrived U.S. Army.

You might have scored a double with this picture. It could well be from that parade.

Something that leads me to believe that this picture is from that time is that the individual appears slightly thicker in the waist than Pershing did during his time in Mexico. That's logical since he would have been eating a little more regularly while training and playing the political circuit than he did while out in the field.