Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Burt

Emancipation proclimation

Question

Read the article about Antietam battle the writer said the north's victory paved the way for the Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. Well yes it freed slaves but only in territories which were in confict with the North, the north could still have slaves and there were many still in slavery in the North. The 13th amendment freed the slaves long after Lincoln had died.

4 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Burt said:

Read the article about Antietam battle the writer said the north's victory paved the way for the Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. Well yes it freed slaves but only in territories which were in confict with the North, the north could still have slaves and there were many still in slavery in the North. The 13th amendment freed the slaves long after Lincoln had died.

The Emancipation Proclaimation might,conceivably, have prevented Britain and France from entering the War on the side of The Confederacy. Perhaps we could view it as an Insurance Policy.

My point is that the Emancipation Proclamation was meaningless because Lincoln didn't have jurisdiction in the Confederate states. People that have never read it think that it freed ALL slaves.

12 hours ago, Burt said:

My point is that the Emancipation Proclamation was meaningless because Lincoln didn't have jurisdiction in the Confederate states. People that have never read it think that it freed ALL slaves.

Yes, I get that. I merely added another reason why the Proclamation was promulgated when it was.

16 hours ago, Philip Whitehouse said:

The Emancipation Proclaimation might,conceivably, have prevented Britain and France from entering the War on the side of The Confederacy. Perhaps we could view it as an Insurance Policy.

In addition to that, in the South it was perceived as an incentive for the slaves to riot, escape and spy on the Confederates. At the end of the war, when the "rebels" faced severe attrition problems, the Confederate Secretary of State Benjamin even pushed his own version of Emancipation Proclamation to free slaves who would fight for the South. This measure, however, was delayed and watered down to the point of being completely ineffective.   

• Like 1