Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Justin

Need help to Identify!

Question

I bought this a few years ago and have been striking out on finding who manufactured and when. Anyone have any ideas?

9A05A6F1-0112-4637-A8C1-447D0A60CEBA.jpeg

D21C7D33-28F6-4D62-878B-2B7D1C2CC26A.jpeg

F06FBA0D-CA0D-4CA3-83B4-B10357F8A3EE.jpeg

1D837EDE-2632-44A7-8280-8E2C0F08FB3C.jpeg

2 answers to this question

I am certainly the last to claim knowledge on the subject, but your dagger appears to follow the pattern of the Fairbairn-Sykes "commando knife".  As to its authenticity, I've not a clue.

• Like 1

Ribbed hilt (rather than the earlier etched diamond pattern), complete absence of a ricasso...(That's the bit on earlier models between the hilt and the cutting part of the blade where you rest the tip of your thumb, sometimes known as an "escutcheon") That makes it the final "Third Pattern" knife. Rogers of Sheffield continued (amongst several other cutlers) to produce these for the civilian market right up to the 1960's Some UK post-war special forces were issued with third pattern knives... some weren't. (The regimental Sergeant Major of the SAS comments in his autobiography, in response to Chris Ryan's "The one that got away" rubbishes his claim to have taken on a number of iraqi soldiers with just his fighting knife after shooting his pistol dry, because the SAS simply "didn't issue fighting knives ".) Is a fighting knife purchased privately, but carried into battle by a soldier a still a "fighting knife".?