Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Hello all! My name is Devon and I am a Digital Media and Animation BS senior at SUNY Alfred State. Ever since my senior year of high school, I had an idea for an application that would allow users to explore the history of WWII. This would include features such as viewing vehicles, weapons, clothing, listening to music, and watching simulated battles from the era. At first the project started as a mobile phone application that would use the user's phone camera to display the items in an augmented space. During my junior year at Alfred I learned we would be getting virtual reality headsets and thought to myself, "What better way to view something in incredible detail than in virtual reality?!" Soon after I found myself deleting unneeded files from the mobile application and sparing the ones I could recycle for the VR version

Two years later and I finally have a release version with enough features to introduce the application to the public. These features include a theater room in which the user can watch movies projected on a screen that have to do with various battles, documentaries, and plenty more to come. Users can also listen to music of the WWII era from various countries on a 1:1 scale record player; much like how people listened to music in that time period. The final feature included (again, with plenty more to come) is the ability to view various vehicles in 1:1 scale. Watch a Spitfire aircraft soar through the sky from an observer tower over 40ft in the air! Witness the massive size of various tanks! All of this can be done from within one application from the comfort of your own home

The application does require a virtual reality system such HTC Vive, Oculous or Windows Mixed Reality. The application is free so if you know someone who has access to such technology, you can download the application on your machine and run it using their system. The application is free and will continue to be so but donations to support the project and developers work are accepted. Feel free to leave a comment, question or suggestion for the application on this thread or the project page. If you do not feel comfortable posting your question feel free to direct message me and I will get  back to you as soon as possible.

Project page: https://splitboxstudios.itch.io/wwii-vr

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Clara12
      No state in the world has deployed as many of its military bases abroad as the United States did after the end of the World War II. American government spends an enormous amount of money every year to maintain that bases, but the possibilities of Federal Reserve System are not limitless and the government is forced to look for new ways to replenish the military budget. In this regard, according to the statement of the US president D. Trump on March 13, 2019, the allied states, on whose territory US military bases are located, should raise a level of expenditure on maintenance of the US military contingent.
      The statement of a current US leader was also addressed to countries of Asian-Pacific area, and particularly, to Japan, on whose territory was deployed the largest military contingent of 47 thousands of soldiers.
      Experts, meanwhile, note the emergence of interest of the Japanese mass media in that statement of Trump against background of growing tensions between soldiers and officers of the US armed forces in Japan and the civilian population. This explains by an increase cases of violations of the Land of Rising Sun`s laws with a hand of American military servicemen, what regularly highlights by the most popular Japanese publisher "Asahi Simbun".
      Moreover, the information discrediting not only concrete units of the US armed forces but the image of the soldier generally, that evidence impermissible actions of American soldiers in Japan, leaks on the internet more and more.
      Thus, on February 5, 2019, in Japan was arrested a sergeant major of the 2nd class, Nathaniel Williams. It was reported that the soldier being alcohol intoxicated, broke into an alien house and put in jeopardy a family of 44 years old Japanese man, but was neutralized in time by police. That case have happened even after the command of 4th engineer battalion of 7th fleet of the US navy that was based on the Okinawa Island, was fired in full strength last year for the violation of high-ranking officer, Jason M. Gabbard. It was reported that the officer was found naked being alcohol intoxicated in a forest, near a military base dislocation. Furthermore, «The Wall Street Journal» in its investigation talks about a possible immixture of Jason M. Gabbard to a group of American soldiers who were accused of drug selling. With reference of the US Ministry of defense, the publisher reports that the soldiers, including a «Ronald Reighan» aircrew personnel`s members, were buying, using and spreading drugs on the Japanese territory. It is refer to LSD, ecstasy and other narcotic substance.
      Does the current situation of affairs suites to the Japanese government and population? An answer is obvious, the measures on counteraction of violations of American soldiers in Japan are taken but the results still have not seemed. Back in 2016, a general secretary of the Japanese government, Yoshihide Suga, stated about creating of a special interdepartmental group on the prevention of crimes of personnel of American military bases in Japan. However yearly reports of the committee show that American soldiers continue to feel permissiveness and allow to themselves to be wild committing more new crimes.
      Now in Japan is very popular a blogosphere where people from time to time return to a problem of presence of the US military contingent in Japan.
      Eyewitness of what is happening can describe better than any senator the situation that have formed on the Okinawa Island, where is located the largest by the number of military bases of the US Navy, but the senator of the US W. Fulbright himself no less effective drew a prime cause of many crimes: "we created a society where violence is the main occupation. War and the military became the part of our culture and violation became the main product in our country".
      Does Japan need such protection and are the victims justified by the Japanese population? Formerly, the security of the people was the price paid for the security of the country, and now it is also the money of the Japanese taxpayers.
    • By Brian Espinoza Cuevas
      Mr. Andrew Knighton, the He 219 was anything, but slow. With a powerplant of two Daimler-Benz DB 603E liquid-cooled inverted V12 engines, developing 1,800 PS (1,324 kW) each, they gave the "Owl" a top speed of 385 mph (616 Km/h). So actually was one of the fastest nightfighters of WWII. Best regards. Brian. 
    • By Elizabeth Duenas
      Do you know who this man is?  I have someone doing genealogy and this person is in the family.  We do not know his actual name or who his parents or siblings might be. We have a couple of names he used as aliases.  He worked for the French Resistance during WWII.  He was born in Norway, about 1919 but we believe the family is from France and went to Norway sometime after WWI and may have come back to France after WWII.  So we know he spoke at least French, Norwegian and English and traveled in the 50's at times between at least France and the US.    If you know who this might be, can you email me at joemaracheck@gmail.com.  there must be family around who can identify him somewhere.    Thoughts? Thanks
    • By Paladin
      I'm not sure who Hanks will showcase in this upcoming movie, but it should be Lieutenant Commander Ernest E. Evans who commanded the USS Johnston.