Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

753mike

Today's Post---myths of WW2

It's interesting that the author of today's article trying to debunk myths did not mention certain facts , and got one plain wrong .

The "Myth" of Hitler doing a jig . It wasn't a myth , it was a clever bit of film editing by allied propaganda which showed Hitler doing a jig .

If you look at the original film , he stamped one foot and slapped his thigh with his gloves . Just one simple movement , but it was edited 

to produce a film of Hitler doing a jig . The film was taken outside the famous railway carriage after the signing of France's surrender .

So it was hardly a myth , it happened on film . I would call it "successful propaganda" .

The other myth debunked ? Hitler had only one testicle , the myth originated as a result of his autopsy . No , wrong . When I was a kid 

there was a lot of allied propaganda in the form of silly poems for kids written and circulated especially to ridicule German leaders---Japan 

was yet to enter the war---, the little ditty went 

"Hitler has only got one ball ,

Goering has two but they are small 

Himmler is very similar 

But poor old Goebels has no balls at all ." 

Circa 1941 onwards . Hitler still very much alive . I can date it to 1941 because I got a slap around the ear on my very first day at school for 

singing it (in 1941) 

It is a great pity that other people around my age and older don't answer or comment on the daily articles , there is so much knowledge around which 

is going to disappear for ever when the memories die with them . The problem is something to do with the attitude of younger people not wanting

to hear the sometimes very interesting stories (silly old bugger's off again) . I can give you an example (just a quick one so's not to bore you) .

I remember watching my Dad and my brothers digging and lining a pit in the ground of our garden in which to store and hide the explosives my 

Dad was issued with , his job was to sabotage the armaments machinery he was responsible for as works engineer for a large company in Birmingham .

I helped him fill the pit when I was home on leave , which prodded my Dad into telling me more of what he was supposed to do in the event of invasion .

Very interesting , try listening to some of the silly old buggers' stories and you may learn a lot of interesting things .

Edited by 753mike

I notice once again that the format that I used to write the above has been changed , to the detriment of the post .

I asked for advice about this before , but none was forthcoming . Silly old bugger should know better , eh ? 

Whether it was “doctored”or not,there is film of Hitler,doing a jig,looking at the Eiffel Tower,,,,I’ve seen the film,on numerous occasions,,,,,and to My untrained eye,it always looked authentic,,,,,,but,I’m no expert,,???

Hello Danny ,

Yes , I have seen the same film . It is the doctored one and it was used in several films /news stories in WW2 , and still gets a showing as genuine in some of the so-called documentaries which come out on disc or as a programme on TV . 

The same doctoring team did a very funny one based on film of German troops goose-stepping along some conquered street . The film shows them goose-stepping forward and backward and is very effective , especially given the accompanying sound track . 

The problem with a lot of these propaganda films is that they are taken as genuine happenings . For example , a famous , recurring bit of propaganda showing a Spitfire attacking an Me110 . Good film , genuine enough , but the Me110 was a captured one being flown from Boscombe Down to check on how best to attack it . Now I know this is going to cause some argument because , again , it has been used so often it seems genuine . However , a genuine attack would almost certainly show the Spitfire's guns firing . So the film is genuine enough but wrongly attributed  . 

It would be interesting to hear from other readers of any such propaganda films being used . I know of several , but will keep off them to give someone else a chance .

Have a nice day !

ps . Must see if this gets posted properly formatted 

In response to my ps above , surprise surprise , the formatting is as I sent it , same as the previous ones which were mucked about .

6 minutes ago, 753mike said:

Hello Danny ,

Yes , I have seen the same film . It is the doctored one and it was used in several films /news stories in WW2 , and still gets a showing as genuine in some of the so-called documentaries which come out on disc or as a programme on TV . 

The same doctoring team did a very funny one based on film of German troops goose-stepping along some conquered street . The film shows them goose-stepping forward and backward and is very effective , especially given the accompanying sound track . 

The problem with a lot of these propaganda films is that they are taken as genuine happenings . For example , a famous , recurring bit of propaganda showing a Spitfire attacking an Me110 . Good film , genuine enough , but the Me110 was a captured one being flown from Boscombe Down to check on how best to attack it . Now I know this is going to cause some argument because , again , it has been used so often it seems genuine . However , a genuine attack would almost certainly show the Spitfire's guns firing . So the film is genuine enough but wrongly attributed  . 

It would be interesting to hear from other readers of any such propaganda films being used . I know of several , but will keep off them to give someone else a chance .

Have a nice day !

ps . Must see if this gets posted properly formatted 

Thanks,Mike,,,, I’ve seen the goose stepping,,,,which seems,pretty easy to do,,,,,just reverse the film,,,,the jig,just looked a little more sophisticated,,,, ,,by the way,,,,I’ve been on this site for ages and have just realised there is a letter format,,,,,,have a nice day,yourself,Mike,,,??

Hi again Danny , 

I'm glad you've seen the goose-step one , as you say , it is simply playing with forward/reverse , but still very effective because it looks so funny . You are quite right , the jig dancing was rather more sophisticated . There is another one worth looking out for , a simple short snatch of Herman Goering rubbing his hands in glee and with a greasy smirk , originally in a shot of him and Adolph having a love-in . It is variously shown as him showing his pleasure at Spitfires and Hurricanes getting shot down , bombs raining on London and so on . 

There's a lot out there , good fun looking for them .

Hey guys...I'm not sure whether I am familiar with the film you are discussing but it sounds a lot like the little "dance" he did in one of Eva Braun's home movies.  That has been shown millions of times and has been edited (forward & reversed to lengthen) quite often. But that was taken at the Berchtesgaden residence and I am absolutely certain that it is legitimate.  

No , not that film , I meant the straightforward Allied propaganda film of Adolf doing a jig outside the carriage at Compiegne 

On 12/18/2018 at 11:38 AM, 753mike said:

And what has that got to do with the discussion on Myths ?

If you are referring to my posting, it's not unconnected, I think. There was nothing mythical about the Nazi triumph in 1940, which would,perhaps, justify Hitler's impromptu jig.

It's surely more relevant than the news about your Dad working for a company in Birmingham.

Yes Philip , I was referring to your "posting" (more correctly , post) , and you have responded in exactly the way I thought you would . You seem to have completely missed the point . I believe we are all familiar with Hitler's non mythical triumph , and the reason for stating that his jig was in fact a myth . 

If you read my post about my Dad and Birmingham properly , you will understand (with any luck and a following wind) that its relevance is pretty obvious in the context of the post . 

By the way , it took you a while to come up with that observation , did you have to read all the posts whilst checking for a suitable comeback ? 

On 10/17/2018 at 5:19 AM, 753mike said:

The other myth debunked ? Hitler had only one testicle , the myth originated as a result of his autopsy .

Autopsy? That's news to me. I though his body was found completely burnt but for some skull and bone fragments that would be transported to Moscow and archived there. At least, that's what the Soviets claimed.

Hello George , 

Your quote of my post above---- I meant that the whole thing was a myth , including the autopsy . 

With regard to your implied dismissal of the Soviet story , I couldn't agree more , their obfuscation about the whole episode has meant that there will never be (or not in my lifetime anyway) any concrete evidence of Hitler's demise , or even if he did actually demise , which is itself in doubt . I believe that under certain rules , the government can withhold data on anything they choose if they invoke the 100 year rule , which in essence means anyone who could be upset by release of such data will be long dead , making release of information a bit less troublesome . 

54 minutes ago, 753mike said:

With regard to your implied dismissal of the Soviet story , I couldn't agree more , their obfuscation about the whole episode has meant that there will never be (or not in my lifetime anyway) any concrete evidence of Hitler's demise , or even if he did actually demise , which is itself in doubt .  

I don't dismiss the Soviet story - I simply don't have enough information to go on... except that, if the Soviets correctly identified the burnt body as his, there would be literally nothing to perform a meaningful autopsy on. But I fail to see the importance of the one-ball story's origin. Surely, with or without the second ball, Hitler's reputation remains pretty marred. 

I agree that there is insufficient information to the public at large .

The importance of the one ball story can be seen in the post that prompted me to tell it .

Edited by 753mike
gramma

23 hours ago, 753mike said:

Yes Philip , I was referring to your "posting" (more correctly , post) , and you have responded in exactly the way I thought you would . You seem to have completely missed the point . I believe we are all familiar with Hitler's non mythical triumph , and the reason for stating that his jig was in fact a myth . 

If you read my post about my Dad and Birmingham properly , you will understand (with any luck and a following wind) that its relevance is pretty obvious in the context of the post . 

By the way , it took you a while to come up with that observation , did you have to read all the posts whilst checking for a suitable comeback ? 

There's really no need to become all hostile and defensive.Why you think me, somehow, spiteful or motivated by malice is a mystery.

Possibly you may be thinking of somebody else ?

I made the observation as to why Hitler might (or might not) have  performed his dance in all good faith and it's a shame that you thought it irrelevent.

Oh- and here's wishing you  and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edited by Philip Whitehouse

Snide remarks about Father in Birmingham . Not the behaviour of an adult , is it ? Hostile and defensive is obviously what you try to invoke with not just this subject but others . I did not say you were spiteful or indeed motivated by malice--they are your words , eat them . Unfortunately your command of English lets you down somewhat , so perhaps I am being unfair to you when I consider that you are  being confrontational .

On 12/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, 753mike said:

Snide remarks about Father in Birmingham . Not the behaviour of an adult , is it ? Hostile and defensive is obviously what you try to invoke with not just this subject but others . I did not say you were spiteful or indeed motivated by malice--they are your words , eat them . Unfortunately your command of English lets you down somewhat , so perhaps I am being unfair to you when I consider that you are  being confrontational .

What snide remarks might they be ? Your Dad worked in Birminghan during the war: it was a statement of fact. You made it. (As it happens my mother worked also in Birmingham during the war, engaged on semi-secret work Bakelite Ltd , but it's hardly relevent, is it ?)

Your strange personal attack on me was,frankly, outside my experience, and I was surmising as to  what might have motivated it.

Edited by Philip Whitehouse

You are being deliberately obtuse .I shall waste no more time trying to justify my comments , no matter what I say , you seem to be bent on being unpleasant .

On 12/22/2018 at 7:55 PM, 753mike said:

You are being deliberately obtuse .I shall waste no more time trying to justify my comments , no matter what I say , you seem to be bent on being unpleasant .

I'm being unpleasant ?

Never mind, life's too short to deal with paranoia. Enough.

As to myths ,one persistent myth which seems to surface periodically is the Shingle Street "Invasion". Shingle Street is a small town in Suffolk where, rumour has it, the Germans actually invaded-and were repulsed- in 1940. Whether it was a full scale "Sea Lion""-type attempt or a Dieppe-style raid has never been made clear, but it's certainly odd that such a myth should persist.

Another myth, on a grander scale, was the supposed Japanese plan to invade Australia and occupy in 1942. It would appear that this rumour was actually encouraged by the authorities to stimulate a sense of urgency among the population at large. Plans were allegedly drawn-up to defend the populated South-Eastern corner of Australia from what is known as "The Brisbane Line",whereby the rest of the continent was to be abandoned to the advancing Japanese. In actual fact, the Japanese forces would have been vastly-over-extended and Australia,anyway, was never envisaged to become part of the "Co-Prosperity Sphere".

True, Darwin was heavily bombed (to a greater extent than Pearl Harbor) and a Japanese midget submarine penetrated Sydney Harbour but as to an invasion and occupation: it would never have happened.