Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Martin

Uniform id

Question

Hi; my wife's late father, Leonard Day, was injured and evacuated from Dunkirk, we know nothing about his military career but have recently found this photo and would love to know in which regiment he served and any other clues this photo may hold; unfortunately we don't know the date it was taken; thank you. 

20180207_201225.jpg

20180207_201207.jpg

20180207_201218.jpg

4 answers to this question

Perhaps the Royal Regiment of Artillery OR the Corps of Royal Engineers.  Both had a collar device of a grenade over a scroll, both of which sported the Latin, "Ubique" ("Everywhere").  The difference between the two, which I can't make out from the photo, was the number of flames coming from the top of the grenade; RRA had seven flames, CRE had nine.

Were I forced to make a guess, I'd say Corps of Royal Engineers.

Edited by R Leonard

Probably the easiest thing to do is contact the Army Personnel Center (0845 600 9663) and see what they say about accessing his records.  There's a system on this side of the pond for US records & I'm certain that there's one on the other side. 

You might also want to throw the question to these guys who are pretty good at ferreting out info: http://ww2talk.com/index.php

They could also give some insight to navigation of the records acquisition process.

There is a Royal Engineers museum in Gillingham Kent, but they specifically say they've no personnel records and to contact the personnel center . . . which is where I found the above contact information.

Edited by R Leonard