Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 PM, Adrianholyhead said:

Perhaps it is, that's a minor issue to be honest.

If you want to read these you could assist on how I upload them without picking faults

On 11/25/2018 at 10:10 PM, Adrianholyhead said:

Perhaps it is, that's a minor issue to be honest.

If you want to read these you could assist on how I upload them without picking faults

A minor issue ?  sorry, but it isn't, and it's just not a matter of "picking faults". Surely the recording and reporting of history is a DISCIPLINE. and if the very name of the theatre is incorrect how much confidence can be placed in the legitimacy of the rest of the material ?

Please accept my heart felt apologies for my miss spelling of Mesopotamia .

Unfortunately unless i hold a seance I'm unable to verify my Grandfather's participation in that theatre.

I can only relate to his personal story.

Go and grind your axe somewhere else .

Your loss .

15 hours ago, Adrianholyhead said:

Please accept my heart felt apologies for my miss spelling of Mesopotamia .

Unfortunately unless i hold a seance I'm unable to verify my Grandfather's participation in that theatre.

I can only relate to his personal story.

Go and grind your axe somewhere else .

Your loss .

What's with the axe grinding ?

I'm only telling it as it is. Don't the think your Grandfather's memoirs deserve the utmost respect ?  And you don't need to hold a seance to discover the details of his participation

Actually the Mesopotamian Campaign 1915-1918 ("Mespot" to the British Army) is of abiding interest, and it's generally overlooked compared with (say)  the Syrian and Gallipoli campaigns  Townshend's advance up the Tigris, the seige and shattering defeat at Kut-el-Amara , General Maude's eventual capture of Baghdad on 10 March,1917, and so it goes.

Edited by Philip Whitehouse

8 hours ago, Philip Whitehouse said:

What's with the axe grinding ?

I'm only telling it as it is. Don't the think your Grandfather's memoirs deserve the utmost respect ?  And you don't need to hold a seance to discover the details of his participation

Actually the Mesopotamian Campaign 1915-1918 ("Mespot" to the British Army) is of abiding interest, and it's generally overlooked compared with (say)  the Syrian and Gallipoli campaigns  Townshend's advance up the Tigris, the seige and shattering defeat at Kut-el-Amara , General Maude's eventual capture of Baghdad on 10 March,1917, and so it goes.

You're correct there is very little written regarding that particular conflict , that's why he wrote about it c.60 years later after he failed to find anything in his local library .

It makes interesting reading recalling the day to day workings and the advances you mentioned.

I just find your attitude rather off putting to be honest . I can see you have a deep knowledge reading your other posts  .

I'm trying to get this online somehow but you would rather castigate me for a miss spelling .

3 hours ago, Adrianholyhead said:

You're correct there is very little written regarding that particular conflict , that's why he wrote about it c.60 years later after he failed to find anything in his local library .

It makes interesting reading recalling the day to day workings and the advances you mentioned.

I just find your attitude rather off putting to be honest . I can see you have a deep knowledge reading your other posts  .

I'm trying to get this online somehow but you would rather castigate me for a miss spelling .

Not a "castigation" surely, just a reminder.

When studying for my degrees in Modern History you can be sure I was well-and-truly castigated for smaller lapses than yours: on a regular basis.

So it was hammered into me that precision is everything. It's regrettable that you find such correction  objectionable. Please accept it in the spirit it was given.