Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Jon M Brown

What If??? Patton in Korea???

Would General Patton's Presence in Korea Led to a U.N. Victory?  

1 member has voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Had General Patton commanded the U.N. forces in Korea, would he have secured victory for the U.N.?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2018 at 10:00 PM

In the interest of being honest, I have to say up front that I have been critical of some of the "what if" posts that I've read on this forum.  My main complaint with respect to such posts is the usually involve making assumptions that are in no way reasonable.  So now that I have that out of the way....

What if George S. Patton had not been killed in a car accident in Europe?  Would he have gone to Korea at some point?  And if he had, could he have secured a victory for the U.N. forces?  It's a fascinating hypothetical for a number of reasons.  As good a commander as he was, one knock on him was that he didn't have an appreciation for logistics.  And in Korea, he likely would have faced issues with logistics that he did not during WWII.  Also, he was a hard driving commander, always aggressive and always on the attack.  How would that kind of thinking worked in Korea?  Especially at times when the U.N. was vulnerable?  

Anyway, just something to think about, especially for all you "what if" fans out there :)

No.  Simply because he would have already reached the mandatory retirement age for serving officers before the North Koreans invaded . . . without already having 5 stars he would have already retired.