Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Ben

Germany in WW I

How did Germany lose WW I?Their strategies seemed better, especially Operation Michael in 1918. 

6 hours ago, Ben said:

How did Germany lose WW I?Their strategies seemed better, especially Operation Michael in 1918. 

I thought it was common knowledge that Germany was not equipped for the war of attrition, especially after the United States would enter the fray.

Edited by George Collins

10 hours ago, Ben said:

Taking the year 1918 in isolation: while the early German offensives achieved initial tactical success, the offensives,taken together ,were a strategic failure:  once the breakthrough had been achieved the advancing forces had little logistical support.This is particularly true in that they were advancing across land devastated by four years of war, made worse by the Germans own "scorched earth" policy following their earlier withdrawal to the Hindenberg Line.Thus, they were quite unable to keep-up the flow of ammunition,food etc needed by their advancing forces to enable consolidation and seperation of the British and French forces . (It's always logistics !) Also there was a lack of essential fire support;- once the initial break-through was achieved. the fast-moving infantry outran their artillery.

The net result was that the British and French were able to move reserves into the gap and destroy the German momentum.

Edited by Philip Whitehouse