Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Stephen N Russell

1920s Banana Wars

Need Maps,specs on 1920s Bananna Wars in Cent America,

Mercenaries, Marines, civilians, foes,  etc

Never told in docu form or Movie form.

Seen few pics from said "war".

& side note same for movie Sand Pebbles set in 1920s China.

No Marines in USS San Pablo gunboat??

Need Bios, Units, Maps, deployments, effect in Wash DC etc

Knew war used Tommy Guns by military force then right

When I got out in 1968 a former Marine who served in Haiti took me "under his wing" and told stories about fighting "Poppa Doc".  He was an assistant machine gunner, using the M1918 CSRG “Chauchat” in .30-06 caliber: arguably the Worst Gun Ever.

"Chesty" Puller, Victor "Brute Krulak and other famed Marines who served in WWII served here.  Krulak was CG, FMF Pacific during the Vietnam War, the only general officer who had prior experience in guerilla warfare.  Chu Lai (Chinese for Krulak) was named after him.

From Wikipedia:

The Banana Wars were the occupations, police actions, and interventions on the part of the United States in Central America and the Caribbean between the end of the Spanish–American War in 1898 and the inception of the Good Neighbor Policy in 1934.[1] These military interventions were most often carried out by the United States Marine Corps, which developed a manual, The Strategy and Tactics of Small Wars (1921) based on its experiences. On occasion, the Navy provided gunfire support and Army troops were also used.

With the Treaty of Paris, Spain ceded control of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines to the United States. Thereafter, the United States conducted military interventions in Cuba, Panama, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic. The series of conflicts ended with the withdrawal of troops from Haiti in 1934 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Stephen, last year the NRA's Rifleman ran an article about the guns used by Marines in the Banana Wars.  Several of their legends served down there, together.  I don't remember the issue or the title of the article.  But I bet it has the info you are looking for.

Posted (edited)

In the period which you address, in the USN, only capital ships, BBs, CAs, CVs, and the larger CLs, had Marine detachments; anything smaller did not, smaller CLs, DDs on down.  Pretty much that way today in the modern equivalents.

May I suggest the USMC Small Wars Manual, circa 1936 rev 1940, here's a link

https://archive.org/details/SmallWarsManual1940

and some evaluation of same http://www.classicsofstrategy.com/2015/09/small-wars-manual-marine-corps.html

and then there's this:  https://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/1996/11/lessons-yesterdays-operations-short-war-nicaragua-and-small-wars-manual

Edited by R Leonard