Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Firefly Sherman

Machine gun armed Stutz Bearcat

LRDG MG armed Jeeps, SAS, No Africa

Tiger 1, 2 Tanks

Challenger tanks

1/2 Tracks German models

T92 types.

SEAL Dune buggy types.

LRDG armed trucks.

Panther Tank.

T34.

• Like 1

My favorite military vehicle is the M6 High-Speed Tractor, so futuristic and massive. I will settle for an M4 HST too if need be, weighs a bit less.

An M6 from the Overloon War Museum in the Netherlands. 

M6_High-Speed_Tractor_Front.thumb.JPG.8512cc1a6b3fbc04a623ecb67c6dcd0c.JPG

On 8/5/2017 at 2:45 PM, Stephen N Russell said:

Recall seeing this in plastic model form when younger. Never saw one in real life size.

These are massive and were able to tow the biggest guns across heavy terrain.

Because this is about "Vehicles" rather than a single vehicle, this does make it easier.

The DUKW amphibious 2 and a half ton cargo truck.  I have ridden in them and being a former supply officer, anything that makes getting material ashore and off of the beach is a treasure.

The M4 Sherman tank in its various permutations.  The Israelis were using them up through 1973 with 105mm guns firing shaped charge ammunition.

The M3 Grant with its mix of armament.  I have always thought that the U.S. should have deployed M3s more in the Pacific for the combination of the 75mm HE round and the highly lethal 37mm canister round.

And I fully agree with the Churchill Crocodile.  They would have been great on Iwo Jima and Okinawa if they had been available.

And the Jeep, with its incredible versatility.

• Like 2

Rolls Royce Armoured Car . Particularly the ones that served in East Africa 1915 - 1917.. See pic of one being off loaded at Mombasa in 1915. 

Ship 1.jpg

Edited by Kevin Patience

My favourite be1341.gif.e962b0268ee2bab48916845beba9e086.gifbe4484.gif.d89b6f2c3ad99ef438d107f9a94999ac.gifimages-7.jpg.e06499e804450f924ec1b8fb0d657c97.jpg

It' s a daf 328 artillerie tractor 

It' s a dutch made truck from the fifties 

My dad drove one when he  was in military service. It's a petrol engine 6×6 and a excellent terrain vehicle  

Back in his history of WW1, Winston Churchill wrote that "battles are won either by slaughter, or by manouevre", and I think that's a key WSC quote, underwriting much of his view of the world. You could have a Nuke, but if it's set off by a man pushing a button, and that man has an enemy right behind him holding a rock... My first wife's "uncle Ted" served with Brigadier Hobart's 79th Armoured Brigade, a unit created to examine the problems of landing an armoured force in Normandy, and overcoming foreseeable problems using engineering solutions. American forces were given access to their solutions, and offered as many of them as they desired. The powers that be within the Pentagon decided to reject the idea of these (often silly looking) vehicles... a decision which was to cost many hundreds - perhaps even thousands - of American lives, as unsupported infantry attempted to overcome dug-in machine gun positions over open sand. So #1 on my list goes Hobart's silly-looking tanks, which enabled them to take all their objectives on D-Day with time to spare. For #2, the "Weasel", a machine that evolved from a plan to invade Norway. The Genius who produced the plan (Geoffrey Pyke) calculated that the Germans controlled the Towns of Norway, but NOT the countryside. Whoever fielded a vehicle that could move around in Norway's snows could control the countryside with very few troops, massively disrupt German supply and communications lines, and pose a problem that could only be solved by Germany re-deploying several divisions of combat-ready troops from the front line to many miles behind it. Anything that causes ones enemy to "waste" several divisions of good quality troops HAS to be a good thing, The Norway invasion was abandoned (after a great deal of preparation had already been invested in it) although many reader's will have seen/read "The Devil's Brigade", about the First Special Force, created originally specifically to disrupt German activity in Norway - the "Weasel" was originally developed specifically for them. Pyke took research to almost unimaginable lengths - if you're going to be fighting in snow, then the more you know about snow (and ice) that the enemy doesn't know, the greater the advantage you have over him. Pyke took over a chunk of the deep freezers at London's Smithfield meat market to carry out further research on snow, and came up with what came to be known as "Pykerete". Take 10% wood pulp (by volume) add 90% salt water, and stir vigorously, Reduce the temperature to well below water's usual freezing point (because you're stirring it, the water doesn't freeze) then you stop stirring it. And the crystalline structure of what forms is NOT that of "normal" ice. It's harder, and it doesn't melt rapidly. (As it melts, the wood pulp forms an insulating layer and helps keep it cold) On the Northern coasts of both the USA and Canada, there's a plentiful supply of seawater, of trees, and of cold. All one needs to add is a stirring mechanism. Pyke planned to create slabs of "Pykrete, From which could be built (at minimal cost!) absolutely massive aircraft carriers. Not "regular sized" carriers, but  carriers capable to landing four engined bombers, like the Flying Fortress, and Lancaster.The walls would be sixty feet thick... AND self-repairing.A crater caused by a torpedo hit fills with seawater... and freezes again. Churchill was dead keen on the idea... Sadly, as with the 79th Armoured, the invasion of Norway, and the ice-carrier, the USA declined to participate - just wasted a lot of everyone's time, and then let the idea drop. So, #3 on my list is "HMS Habakkuk", named, apparently from an old-testament quotation " "Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you."

ice-ship.jpg

M29C Weasel 001a.jpg

Hobart.jpg