Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joseph Fields

What if about June 6th, 1944

Question

I've always wanted to find out what others thought about, If the Beach Assignments were set up differently... Mainly, the Americans Land on Sword and Juno, Canadians at Gold, and the British Forces at Omaha and Utah Beach.  Taking in consideration the Different Equipment, Tactics and Leadership of the Units that went in on that day. Also, Gen Patton's Third Army going in thru Caen.  Could the collapse of the German Forces have happened quicker?

• Thanks 1

2 answers to this question

On 2/27/2019 at 9:11 AM, Joseph Fields said:

I've always wanted to find out what others thought about, If the Beach Assignments were set up differently... Mainly, the Americans Land on Sword and Juno, Canadians at Gold, and the British Forces at Omaha and Utah Beach.  Taking in consideration the Different Equipment, Tactics and Leadership of the Units that went in on that day. Also, Gen Patton's Third Army going in thru Caen.  Could the collapse of the German Forces have happened quicker?

Joseph, this is quite interesting and unusual thought. but nevertheless, I believe that, despite various guesses, all events should occur when they should occur. because if something went under a different scenario, who knows what our world would be like now?

It's pushing the counter-factual a little far, I think.

It's interesting to speculate what might have happend if a single detail changed,  but not the entre campaign.