Wednesday, July 12, 2017
  • Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the War History Online Community Forum, please register or login to start commenting.

Joris

What was the best fighter plane of WWII?

What was the best fighter plane of WWII?  

597 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best fighter plane of WWII?

• Supermarine Spitfire
    • North American P-51 Mustang
    • Focke Wulf FW-190
    • Messerschmitt Bf 109
    • Yakovlev Yak-3
    • Mitsubishi A6M Zero
    • Other (specify below)
    • DH 98 Mosquito

Being a fan of WWII warbirds, I'd found him the most interesting person to talk with about them. I'll get his books instead. Thanks for sharing.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:57 AM, Ray Hindle said:

Hey Dave

I assumwe that what you are refering to is Flugzeugträger Graf Zeppelin, this ship was laid down in 1936 in Kiel but by 1940 work had ceased whilst it was still incomplete.  Work was authorised to recommence in 1942, though there were many technical problems still to be overcome (not least being the lack of a suitable carrier borne aircraft).  By February 1943 all work on the carrier ceased and the ship languished in various Baltic ports until being scuttled in Stettin (now part of Poland and renamed Szczecin) ahead of the advancing Soviet troops in 1945.  For further information see: Burke, Stephen; Adam Olejnik (2010). Freedom of the Seas: The Story of Hitler's Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin. Stephen Burke Books

As a projected aircraft carrier, much less had it ever been competed, Graf Zeppelin as a best a bad joke or at worst just a piece of steel junk.

Thank you for the info, the model I saw was 4ft long, very detailed and a finished ship.  The German people did not want to talk about WW2, so getting any info on the ship just didn't happen. The little info that I gained about the carrier was through the internet, but even that was minimal.

2 hours ago, Triumphdave said:

Thank you for the info, the model I saw was 4ft long, very detailed and a finished ship.  The German people did not want to talk about WW2, so getting any info on the ship just didn't happen. The little info that I gained about the carrier was through the internet, but even that was minimal.

There was also a second carrier, captured when only part completed in the French port of L'Orient, and after years of indecision, they didn't bother to complete it. (The French however DID complete it after the war). Perhaps of more interest was the proposed "KFT" project (That's "KleinesFlugZeugTraeger" or "SMALL Aircraft Carrier". That looked promising - except the chap who proposed the idea couldn't get the navy to take a serious interest (Because it's about AIRCRAFT!) And could't get the Luftwaffe to take the idea seriously (Because it's about SHIPS!)....

• Like 1

in l'Orient????

I find that a bit hard to believe, though always willing to be proved wrong.  Do you have some reliable documentation?

And exactly which post-war French carrier was built out to finish the project?

1 hour ago, R Leonard said:

in l'Orient????

I find that a bit hard to believe, though always willing to be proved wrong.  Do you have some reliable documentation?

And exactly which post-war French carrier was built out to finish the project?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_aircraft_carrier_II

The French cruiser De Grasse was laid down at the Arsenal de Lorient shipyard in Lorient in November 1938. Work on the unfinished ship stopped following the German conquest of France in May 1940.[1] In 1942, the Kriegsmarine considered several proposals to convert the cruiser into an auxiliary aircraft carrier. The final proposal was completed by August 1942, but work on the conversion did not last long. By February 1943, the project had been abandoned, for several reasons. The shipyard suffered from a shortage of labor and materials, and the design staff had significant concerns over the arrangement of the engine system. The Allies also posed a serious threat, as Lorient was well within the range of Allied bombers. The ship was eventually retaken by the French Navy after the end of the war, and launched in 1946.[2] She was ultimately completed in 1956 as an anti-aircraft cruiser.[1]

On 9/25/2017 at 3:01 AM, Joris said:

Totally, what a fantastic plane ! 

various roles. carried a similar bomb load to berlin as the b17--fast for photo recon--very nimble night fighter--deadly as a train buster and ground strafer.  made of wood therefore very cheap to ;produce. the p51 and spitfire were still neccesary obviously but for adaptability i favour the mosquito.