Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Able502    35

The road bridge at Arnhem, it has been named after Lt-Colonel John Frost, the commander of the 2nd Parachute Battalion.

His forces, which included men from other units, captured and held the north end of the bridge during Operation Market Garden in September 1944.

IMG_2945.JPG

• Like 1

Pieter    15

I took this picture of the Arnhem Bridge area from the top of the Eusebius church once, gives a nice overview of the battle zone.

2014-11-01 14.16.05.jpg

Pieter    15

So you know what you are looking at, I've put in some information on the picture.

The red dotted line denotes the perimeter held by the Airborne troopers on September 17th, it quickly shrank under the constant German attacks until only the area near the John Frost HQ was left.

Bridge2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pieter    15

This is how the same area looked before the war started. Makes me really sad to see what the post-war planners did, there were other options too.

2013-03-23-Panorama-Eusebiuskerk-1935-De-Kreuk-edit.jpg

Pieter    15

One more, this is a memorial plaque located at the top of the stairs.

In WWII the brigade HQ building would have been in the background.

Frostbridge Monument 1.JPG

Pieter    15

One more but then I really should get some work done.

This picture was taken during the "Race to the Bridge" event in which takes place every year in September.

IMG_2116.jpg

• Like 1

The_MadMan    19

Keep them coming please, I love these pictures!

And yes, the city planners tried their best to make the bridge area as rotten as could be after the war.

Not Bob    12

Film trivia - 

C-47 Dakota’s 

The filming that focused on the air scenes were all completed in 1976, at the beginning of September. This culminated in a number of air drops of approximately 1,000 men, as well as supplies being dropped by several Dakota aircraft. Joseph E. Levine Presents Incorporated (the film company) procured these Dakotas.

All aircraft that were used had to be licensed to officially carry passengers and be fully registered. There was originally a deal to purchase ten, but this deal failed when airframes on two failed to have the required jump doors. In total, eleven Dakotas were brought; four were bought by Levine and seven more were loaned while filming.

• Like 2

Able502    35

Maybe we will see it re-enacted in 2019 when Daks over Normandy will have over 15 Dakota's for the D-Day+75 commemoration!

• Like 1